Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Sable with the 3.8. I have been having trouble with the serpentine belt running off a notch on the pulley on the A/C compressor and tearing the outer rib off of the serpentine belt. Since the A/C doesn't work anyway is it possible to just bypass the compressor with a shorter belt? I would appreciate any info , Thanks!

G

·
Yes, you can do that. The best way to find out the length is to use a piece of string, wrapped around the pulleys like a belt, then mark the string. Your mark will be your new belt length. As long as there's a belt available, you should have no problems with doing this.

As far as the compressor, it must be misaligned if it's throwing the belt like that. Are all the mounting bolts tight?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
make the belt a little shorter than the string, because the tensioner will be all the way out when you measure. Having a slightly shorter belt will help keep tension.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! The mounting bolts seem to be tight on the compressor. Does anybody happen to know where I could find a belt diagram to run the belt without the compressor? The belt diagram on the fan shroud on the car shows that without A/C there is a idler pulley in place of the compressor that the belt runs on ( They built Sables without air?)
Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
run it the same way it is now, just don't wrap it around the A/C pulley.

Or, if the idler pulley braket bolts on to the old A/C mounts, then find a pulley off a junker and put it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts