Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided that it is time for me to upgrade my ride and get rid of my Taurus. :( It is bittersweet because of all the memories and times I had in the Taurus. It is a great car. Reliable. Stylish. Everything I ever wanted in my first car and more. But recently I have been wanting a truck. A big truck. The truck with the link at the bottom to be exact. When I do decide to give the Taurus up I want it to go to someone who will take as much care of it as I did. I wanted to hear from some follow Bull Owners what they think I could get out of this very limited edition Taurus Centennial. It has every option for that year. I have brand new headlights and bulbs. Is in great shape. Extensively cleaned at least once a week. It has 125,000 miles on it and I want to get as close to 8 thousand out of it as possible. As a Taurus owner, what would you be willing to pay?

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab Super Duty in Brookville, IN 47012: Truck Details - 285414556 - AutoTrader.com

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know about getting 8Gs for it, as one can get a Ford Fusion SEL V6 with less miles for about the same price. You should check KBB value and go from there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KBB says about 6. I mean it's their limited production model. Plus I have the centennial kit that came with it. It has a Ford 100 year history book, Centennial edition watch, Centennial badge key chain, leather manual book. I have had someone tell me that they would give me 8 for it on the spot. It really is a sharp car when I get it all shined up. I want to feel like the person who I sell the car to is going to cake care of it like I did.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What are you waiting for? Take that 8 grand if somebody offering it to you.
Mine is regular '01 SE with 80,000 miles and I paid for it only $2K with new shocks, springs and brakes. Spent another $1,400 on tires, alignment and maintenance. Will need a heater core next season, and will just drive it. I realize it never will be as special as yours, but it also will cost me only half of your asking price.
Most people are looking at cars as a mode of transportation or an appliance. And let's be honest, driving enthusiasts, other then people who are frequenting this forum, wont be interested in acquiring a Taurus in the first place, let alone pay $8K for it.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Let's see. I got about 5 grand each when I traded in my 2000 and 2004 LXs. Both were about 2 1/2 years old. Both had under 40,000 miles on them. Unless you find someone who is an absolute freak for a high-mileage Centennial I doubt you'll get much more than KBB wholesale for it.

I had a Centennial Focus for a while and there was no extra consideration for the package when I traded it in. I still have the box with all the Centennial goodies, plus the window sticker and brochures for the Focus. Leather book binding and owners manual cover sure smell good.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The f250 looks great, but I would be concerned that truck has seen some serious off roading, given the lift and huge tires/wheels is has. Which engine does this truck have? I've heard about a number people having nothing but trouble with Ford's diesels from the early 00's, in perticular, the 6 liter diesel engine. The price is steep for a '04 as well, even with the fancy off road pkg. If you decide to get it, why not keep the Taurus for long trips? The noisy diesel, and gas mileage, are a couple of things to keep in mind. What about a f150, or something that has the 4.6 or 5.4 gas engine?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Stay away from the Navistar sourced 6L diesels in the F250/350! They are nothing but TROUBLE, and ULTRA EXPENSIVE to fix, that is if you can even find a good diesel tech that will be willing to look at it. Dont believe me..... go to any Ford dealer and ask the techs (not the service manager, but the techs who actually are expected to fix these abominations) and they will give you an earfull.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would keep the car if you can afford it, would be a good ride for long trips, and with gas and all well that will end up saving you some money as well. hahaha

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gas doesn't bother me. I can afford that. I have heard that some people have had problems with the diesel in those trucks. I want a lifted diesel. I learned to drive off a big 5 speed 95 diesel. I'm putting it into serious consideration. But there is no way that I could get it unless I sold the Taurus

·
Registered
564 Posts
If someone will give 8K you better take it. Good luck on the pickup search. If it will be your main mode of transportation just be sure the diesel is what you want.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
If you want a diesel Ford, get a older 6.8 or 7.3. They had very few problems and lasted forever, unlike the POS 6.0 Navistar.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is what I have heard about the diesels after doing some research. My grandpa's 95 F 350 is still runnin strong at almost 260k miles. But I have decided on the newer F-150s. I have found a 2005 F-150 Super Crew with a 6 inch lift that I have fallen in love with. I have not heard any bad things about them. Plus, there are a lot of extras I have found that I would love to customize the truck with like the angel eye projected headlights. So I am going to probably soon put the Taurus up for sale for $6,500. I am having a guy try to fix the small quarter size dent in the door fixed. Hope all goes well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts