Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking through the Black Friday sales and Best Buy seems to have one. I'd like to get your opinion on it. I'm not sure about Toshiba though. I have never really used one in person, but I imagine it is at least as good or better than an HP. This laptop also has 128mb of memory dedicated to its Radeon video card.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218011772901

It will be on sale for $380

It definitely blows my budget of $300...but I am sort of thinking that if I am already spending that much, I might as well go for something a little bit better.

No matter what, it has to be better than my current laptop. A 1999 HP with a 433mhz Celeron and 4GB HDD and 10 minute battery life (make that 0 minutes if I run anything too intensive). lol

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes it lacking it power? From what I have read about the AMD Turion x2 64 is good in power right behind the Core 2 Duo.

How about Toshiba laptops in general, how do they hold up?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What makes it lacking it power? From what I have read about the AMD Turion x2 64 is good in power right behind the Core 2 Duo.

How about Toshiba laptops in general, how do they hold up?
[/b]

depends on what you are going to use it for. I too am looking for a laptop, I'm not impressed with my acer (although I was at first) including the fact that the hinges on acer laptops are the worse I have seen, I've already replaced the hinges once.

But like it was already said, its not a powerhouse, but itl run your word processing, internet, and any older games should work just fine (if they are compatible with windows vista that is) turning the specs down, you might be able to run the modern games as well.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
A few friends have Toshiba laptops, and they seem to overheat a lot. They're older ones though, so they might have corrected this or it was just a problem with that one line.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I have a similar Compaq. Even though it has an ATI card, it reserves 128MB of the regular RAM to use so I only have 894 MB for the OS to use. And my Compaq has a Turion 64 and it really is not very powerful.

I don't know how you can set a budget so low for a laptop unless it's a netbook.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Seriously, that's a really low number. Coming from me that doesn't mean much, paid 1200 for my macbook.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
If you want a good laptop cheap, go to the manufacturer outlets ... although I wouldn't recommend a lenovo to my worst enemy.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a similar Compaq. Even though it has an ATI card, it reserves 128MB of the regular RAM to use so I only have 894 MB for the OS to use. And my Compaq has a Turion 64 and it really is not very powerful.

I don't know how you can set a budget so low for a laptop unless it's a netbook.
[/b]
I set the budget low in anticipation of buying a notebook on sale.

I may be looking at another laptop now. There is a $350 laptop at Office Depot. HP 15.4" screen, 3GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Pentium Dual Core Mobile Processor T3200. I have read on other forums that the T3200 is as good as or better than the AMD Turion x2 64. I don't know if it is true but I will have to do some more research, but if it is true, then that may be the better deal. I just don't know if I am crazy about the smooth surface touch pad on the HP.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The specs on the two processors look pretty similar. I've heard that with the dual cores Intel trumps AMD at being faster. There is an un-official test to determine how well the computer runs Vista by watching the bubble screensaver. If the bubbles move slow, then you don't want it. If the bubbles move fast, it's a good buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts