Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm probably picking up a car this weekend in North Carolina. I've never done this before, but what is the strict letter of the law as far as getting a temp tag goes. My DMV won't issue one said it will have to come from the state it is bought in. NCs DMV isn't open on the weekends so earliest I could get it would be Monday, well I'll already be back in TN by that point.

Just looking for some tips.

Thanks
Justin

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Not sure about where you are, but in CT ... the DMV of the state YOU live in issues the temp tag. The temp tag allows one to drive the car, get it inspected, etc. You get 30 days. I can't imagine the state of NC giving someone from TN a temp tag. You are not in their system. A temp tag is linked to your license, AFAIK.

Also, again - at least in CT, after 9/11 the rules changed. Getting caught driving a car with the wrong plates (how we all use to get new purchases home) is no longer a misdemeanor, it is now a felony.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
From what I know here in Ohio its a run around for you. Your buying the car in NC, so you will buy a NC temp tag with the NC title. Drive the car home on that tag, then you need to get a Tenn. title made from your bill of sale and NC title. After that you will be able to get a Tenn. temp tag then get the car inspected and regular plates off of your new Tenn title. Thats how it would work if they go buy the Ohio "standards". I know I wouldnt drive to far without plates or the right plates on the car, you may catch a cop / trooper who is having a bad day and he can tow the car right away then your really stuck, no ride and a tow / impound bill plus tickets.
You could also use the registered plates from the person you are buying the car from if he trusts you enough to send them back to him.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (DLC360 @ Apr 16 2009, 04:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718194
You could also use the registered plates from the person you are buying the car from if he trusts you enough to send them back to him.[/b]
This was probably going to be one of the things I would look into. Every other way just seems like a pain in my ass.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ask the seller to pick up a temporary tag for you in NC. That's what I did with my car. That'll keep you legal for your drive back to TN.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
QUOTE (lithy @ Apr 16 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718195
QUOTE (DLC360 @ Apr 16 2009, 04:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718194
You could also use the registered plates from the person you are buying the car from if he trusts you enough to send them back to him.[/b]
This was probably going to be one of the things I would look into. Every other way just seems like a pain in my ass.
[/b][/quote]

How true that is. Its hard when you buy a car out of state like that on the weekends. I have used the sellers plates before, so it doesnt hurt to ask. Be sure though to send them back on time and even get delivery conformation from the post office so you know he got them back. I have even left a check with the seller with the understanding that if he doesnt have the plates by a certin date, he can cash it for his troubles. What ever it takes to give the seller trust that you will return his plates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts