Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a one owner car in Ohio and I'm going to check it out.

The shop that has it in their possession seems to know nothing about the cams being welded so they are probably not, however the transmission was rebuilt and the coils were just changed and the price is low enough that if the engine does fail on the way home or to get the cams welded I'm not out very much at all.
It is a one owner car so the chances of the previous owner not hearing about cam failures is kinda low I would think.

Any advice or things I should look for/at before I buy?

Good places to get the cams welded if they aren't already? Preferably near Ohio/West Virginia.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would definitely check because the vehicle is in a rust belt state, the rear upper strut tower where the top of the rear mcpherson struts bolt to (rear hat rack) for rust/rust thru.

There are some pictures on this forum of fatal terminal rust in this area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yea, its scary not knowing if your cams are welded, havent had the time to remove my valve covers to check.

what's the mileage on this sho? price?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It has 245000 miles with a recently rebuilt transmission ( so that is i good) so I think the original owner that had it since new may have welded them already... or its just a really lucky car. Got their number just gotta call them sometime today, hopefully they answer. If not I'm gonna have to check for myself.

Interior needs some goo gone but I'd give it 6/10.
Engine still running strong no clicking sound or anything 10/10.
Suspension is nice and stiff. 10/10.
Exterior has a few small rust spots but other wise nice black with the chrome rims. 6/10.

When I opened the hood the car bra thing that was on there collected rain water and proceeded to dump about a gallon on the engine and I think it make have damaged a sensor or spark plug connection cause the check engine light is on and blinks about every 20 min. Engine sounds fine though so maybe something else. A valve cover is also leaking. Needs an alignment.

The car is a lot of fun though even with a few things wrong, feels like it just wants to go on the interstate, hard to keep under 80.

I got it for less than the original owner paid in taxes when they bought it new, about 1800. I paid 1600 so even if it dies I can part it out without too much of a loss.

·
Registered
86 Posts
if you get on V8sho.com there is a list of people that will weld your cams ....if it needs it....another website rocketracing.com has all the top end gaskets you might need. Get the alignment done then enjoy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1600 isnt bad, I payed 1150 for mine, 150k, the only problem it really had was a short.
have fun with your new SHO

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Eric Lehmann in Illinois can do a top notch job welding your cams- he's on SHO Forum as 'E1' and on Taurus Owners .com as 'Zenriddles'.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The other problem to watch out for on the GEN3 SHO is that the secondary butterflies can the gummed up with carbon and oil, which in turn causes the cable that actuate them to stretch or the module that actuate them fail. The rear coil on plugs do not last as long as the front ones because the increased amount of heat from the engine. Check to make sure the adjustable shocks are working. They should be stiff with the engine off and when you start the car the shocks are much softer.
The engine is an interference engine so when the cam sprockets fail the valves hit the pistons and destroy the engine in short order.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
If your going too far..might think about one of those towing rigs that connects on the front wheels. Better safe than sorry..just sayin'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts