Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have realized that the standard butt dyno usually comes with some filters pre-installed. Mine came with both LS505 and FOTL filters installed.

I decided that these filters, while they have a purpose, are not helping when it comes to getting raw performance data. So, I decided to make some tests without them.

First of all, let me say that operating your butt dyno on public roads, with no filters installed, is illegal. You will be fine if you only use a LS505, LS501, LS550, or similar. But, using the FOTL alone might draw some unwanted attention.

While removing the filters from your butt dyno during street racing is not completely wrong, because everyone knows that it won't help you win a race, the practice is still frowned upon.

Let me just say, the difference is incredible! The biggest problem with these filters is that they restrict the movement of your accelerometer. With the filters installed, only the larger accelerations will result in a signal from your accelerometer. With the filters removed, every crack in the road resulted in a measurable signal. I was so excited to see all these signals from my accelerometer, that I was seeking out rough roads and extreme corners.

Then I found that running with the windows down, and on a rough enough road, my accelerometer change to a state of heightened sensitivity. The accelerometer itself kind of change position so that it could easily detect an acceleration from any direction.

So, I got to thinking that it would not be very hard to build an apparatus that would kind of pre-stimulate your accelerometer to this heightened sensitivity level, without having to find a really rough road.

So, what do you think? Anybody else like to run without the filters?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it help if I said the LS505 is made by Levi Strauss, and FOTL = Fruit of the Loom?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't get it...
:pat:

I do!!! :roflmao: :biglaugh: :jumpingjoy: :roflmao:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I hear some cars are an extension to your accelerometer.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by eCarâ„¢@Jun 12 2004, 06:19 PM
Would it help if I said the LS505 is made by Levi Strauss, and FOTL = Fruit of the Loom?
oh :lol:

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Personally, I love running without filters. The heightened throttle sensitivity, and dare I say free flowing exhaust makes it all the wild. But take precaution when running without filters. The LS can do some extensive damage to the accelerometer, often resulting in performance loss.

:uhoh2:

·
Registered
276 Posts
As far as FOTL filters, the BX type helps airflow around your accelerometer and allows for more movement. The BR type is very restrictive and doesn't allow for much movement, but some people prefer it that way. I have also heard that the BR type affects your injector flow rate, but this has not been proven.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Originally posted by red92gl@Jun 12 2004, 11:34 PM
As far as FOTL filters, the BX type helps airflow around your accelerometer and allows for more movement. The BR type is very restrictive and doesn't allow for much movement, but some people prefer it that way. I have also heard that the BR type affects your injector flow rate, but this has not been proven.
I've heard that too, and also I hear from my mechanic that serious long term side-effects can come from the BR type filters. Such as serious decrease in performance, your accelorometer will be less sensitive, and it can even permanently bend your accelerometer to an unusable state! I'm going to stick with the BX model. :D

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
BAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol2: :lol2:

That was awesome.

Not only was this a great pun thread, its now about personal health. yay!

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
There is a big flaw in the butt dyno as well, having a female co-pilot in the vehicle can result in faulty readings with the accelerometer, especially if she is running un-filtered as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts