Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I'm in the process of replacing my passenger window that was shot out. I have everything I need to get the job done but I'm stuck at this point.

The window I got from the junk yard has the track/rail still riveted to the glass. And the old track/rail from the broken window is still attached to the regulator inside my door.

My question is, how in the world am I going to get the old rail off to pop the new one on? Do I need to take the whole regulator out or is there a way to do this without taking it out?

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I replaced the driver side door and window. I had to drill out the rivets to free the glass and used bolts to reinstall the glass. Ford may sell the rivets but short bolts and locktite work well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Should be able to do it. On my Chevy, I merely had to loosen the bolts that hold the window assembly to the 'lifting frame', or whatever you call it. The piece of plastic riveted to the window stays with the window.
I just loosened the bolts that held the window to the motor assy (with the window in the down, or partially down position) and then lifted the glass out the top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the driver side door and window. I had to drill out the rivets to free the glass and used bolts to reinstall the glass. Ford may sell the rivets but short bolts and locktite work well.
Ok. So it's not possible to just pop the old rail off the regulator and somehow snap the other on while still attached to the glass?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should be able to do it. On my Chevy, I merely had to loosen the bolts that hold the window assembly to the 'lifting frame', or whatever you call it. The piece of plastic riveted to the window stays with the window.
I just loosened the bolts that held the window to the motor assy (with the window in the down, or partially down position) and then lifted the glass out the top.

I think I get what you're saying. I wish we could upload short videos so I can show what I'm talking about. Thank you for your help though.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,403 Posts
OK, I'll address the elephant in the room here.. What were the circumstances for your your window getting shot out?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don2775... I'm not really sure what happened. I was driving down the interstate on my way home from work. It was raining but nothing severe like hail or crazy wind gusts. Out of no where my window explodes (from the outside.)

I wasn't injured but my mind instantly flashed back to a similar situation in a lovely place we called the "sand box." I sped up looking for a weapon that wasn't there lol.

There were no semi trucks or any other vehicles around (thank god I probably would've ran them off the road.) I think it was a random stray looking for something to kiss. At that time, I believe 2, 3 people were killed by police for shooting at random vehicles on the interstate (Okc.)

Maybe I was one of those poor clueless bastards, or maybe an extremely buffed and pissed off horse fly said F it, closed it's eyes and flew into traffic lol!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts