Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I moved the car further up in the driveway (so wife could pull in) a while later I noticed a puddle of oil under the car. The puddle was about 10" in Dia. I crawled under and would have to say it wasn't leaking at the pan but seemed to be leaking from the filler/stick tube, as the tube and dip stick was oily. I took it into the garage they took a look at it told me they couldn't see anything wrong they said the vent was clear (no charge BTW). I have been going there for some time now and fully trust them. It's odd because it was like some unexplained event don't worry about it kind of thing, this was my impression, not their words.
Saturday again there was oil in the driveway. I seen the dipstick was not seated properly in the tube so push it down fully. It seems to me that there is a pressure issue.

Transmission 4F50N (column shifter if that matters)
last oil/filter change, 162,400 kms, March 2009 now at 292,075 KMS

questions
- What other than a blocked vent would cause this?
- If I pull the pan to change filter/oil/gasket will I be able to find any visual indication(s) of the trouble I'm having?

Appreciate any feedback

Larry

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Trans Vent

About a week ago I moved the car further up in the driveway (so wife could pull in) a while later I noticed a puddle of oil under the car. The puddle was about 10" in Dia. I crawled under and would have to say it wasn't leaking at the pan but seemed to be leaking from the filler/stick tube, as the tube and dip stick was oily. I took it into the garage they took a look at it told me they couldn't see anything wrong they said the vent was clear (no charge BTW). I have been going there for some time now and fully trust them. It's odd because it was like some unexplained event don't worry about it kind of thing, this was my impression, not their words.
Saturday again there was oil in the driveway. I seen the dipstick was not seated properly in the tube so push it down fully. It seems to me that there is a pressure issue.

Transmission 4F50N (column shifter if that matters)
last oil/filter change, 162,400 kms, March 2009 now at 292,075 KMS

questions
- What other than a blocked vent would cause this?
- If I pull the pan to change filter/oil/gasket will I be able to find any visual indication(s) of the trouble I'm having?

Appreciate any feedback

Larry
Discussions in Gen 1-4 group. Same trans, same problem.

-chart-

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks chartmaker, hoping someone will chime in

I pulled the black rubber cap on the vent it was clean other than old grime on it. I stuck a piece of insulated electrical wire down the vent about 3 - 3 1/2 inches, when I pulled it back up, the wire was clean no gunk or oil on it. It would seem that if there is a blockage it is further down. That is, if the problem is that the transmission is not venting. It appears that the transmission (oil) is venting up the filter tube, popping up the dip stick and puddling on the tranny housing and even spilling on the driveway.

I went back to my mechanic, he referred me to a specific transmission shop which is closed for vacation and not back until Aug 22nd. I drive about 1000 KMS a week (600 miles) this is my commuter car. Am I safe to continue driving the Taurus until then? Of course I will keep an eye on the fluid level. I live in a small city no too many choices for service. I don't want to go to the local Ford dealership, their shop labour is $100 per hour.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The solution

The black rubber cap that fits down on the vent, has 2 inside rings. If you push the cap down all the way it blocks the vent, pull it back up until it clicks past the first (or top-most) ring, this will allow the vent to do it's job. That would explain why the solution that has been posted "replace fitting with 90 degree elbow and run a rubber line" seems to solve the problem. This solution came from the transmission shop; at no charge. Gotta love those no charge fixes :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts