Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained my coolant out of my Duratec last weekend to do some work. So, I refilled it, up to about 3/4 of the tank, and started it up with the cap off. Let the thermostat open up and gave all the hoses a few squeezes to get out any air. Shut it off and let it cool down, with the cap off. Later, I poured in the rest of the coolant and it fills the tank to about 90% full. WTH???

I did this 3 years ago and didn't have this problem. Is there some secret to doing this?

·
Registered
22,565 Posts
After a drain, I fill the tank full, milk the top accessible hoses, fill again and check after a drive cycle.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
After a drain, I fill the tank full, milk the top accessible hoses, fill again and check after a drive cycle.
Exactly what I did too when I replaced the rear heater hoses in my wagon. Filled the tank, squeezed what hoses I could get my hands on, fill again. Then cap on, heat on, I let the car run for a while till the thermostat opened. Turned the car off, filled again(after it cooled), then drove it and kept an eye after a full drive cycle. It takes a few checks but eventually it'll burp out.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've driven it for a week and the level still hasn't dropped. I squeezed every hose I can reach. The coolant level goes up and down, but no air coming out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts