Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have noticed it on and off that sometimes I get a burnt rubber smell while driving my car. I know this can't be good. While reading other posts, I have noticed that my car does sag a bit in the back and someone had mentioned that the tire well might be rubbing on the rear tires? I have looked at the Main belt under the hood and it does not seem to be worn.

Any ideas to help me figure out what is going on?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had what I thought was a "burnt rubber smell" in my '02 Vulcan. I fixed two things at the same time but think it actually was a slow oil drip on to the Y pipe under the engine. It never leaked enough to leave a drip under the car. I replaced the oil pan gasket successfully, no leaks. Also my windshield washer hose had broken off (again). I tied it up off the engine area.
Don't have the smell any more.
A simple tire inspection should tell you if tires are rubbing. Discount Tire, where I live, is always glad to do tire inspections. (with hopes of making a sale, I'm sure)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought brand new tires a couple months ago so I will go compare the front to the rear.
When you say the Washer hose had broken off again, do you mean like I came unattached and was leaking washer fluid? or that it was hanging down and something in the engine was rubbing on it creating the smell?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Check the tires, simple inspection. Also, the slow drip is a likely culprit as well. When you start to smell the burnt rubber smell, stop the car, leave it running, pop the hood and take a sniff around. You might find the issue. If you don't smell anything, then go the the rear of the car and repeat. You can likely at least narrow down the area this way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car had accumulated two little wet spots under it after running it for about 30 minutes this morning and parking it for three hours since. I rubbed a different finger in each and one had no smell at all which was the bigger puddle (ac water run off?) the other which was about the size of two quarters had the burnt smell.
Like I said, this puddle was pretty small and this morning my car did not have the smell. It seems to pick and choose when to do it.

I found a coupon online for an oil change, tire rotation and 42-point inspection for $10 that I'm going to use in a bit as I have 4700 miles since my last oil change. I figure that during that inspection they will be able to help me pinpoint it more and also can check if I need to replace my rear springs/struts to fix the S.A.S. problem.

I don't know if it matters, but when I change my oil I typically use the cheapest oil so nothing special

1 - 5 of 5 Posts