Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 Taurus 3.0 DOHC S VIN 125,3XX miles

Trans fluid is brownish and smells burnt. I just got this car and do not know any history of maintenence on it. I've done a little research and it seems like there is no consensus on whether change the fluid and filter or leave it and be at the transmissions mercy. Just driving it today for a long period of time I'm noticing it's not real crisp from the line, with less than impressive shifts throughout driving. Anyone have any input? How about people that have had burnt fluid and changed it, did it get better or worse? What about changing it and adding a trans cooler? I have a 93 Bronco that I bought with 179,XXX miles on it that also had brownish fluid. I changed the fluid and filter on that and have had no negative trans issues. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My advice is to baby that sucker until you can afford a trans swap/overhaul.

Or consider getting rid of the car; that burnt smell means TROUBLE in my experience! Then again, I'd hesitate to stick someone else with a problem I knew about and didn't warn them, so...... Good luck. :)

If the fluid is changed, it might break loose the varnishes and gums that have built up in the trans, to the point that they are now an integral part of an operating transmission.

The '93 Bronco had a totally different trans, so I'd be wary of using that as a guide.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I would change the fluid and filter. If the tranny dies shortly after, well... you tried.

Transmission coolers help prevent burned up trannies. Taurii are afflicted with tranny problems resulting from the high temps they operate at.

With 125+K miles, and sketchy maintenance, you may look into having the transmission replaced or overhauled.

Also, your Taurus has a 3.0L 24 valve dual overhead cam engine. These engine have secondary butterflies in the intake manifold. They get really dirty. I cleaned mine at 75k and found them to be quite filthy. If your car has 125K miles, the intake probably needs cleaning. Due to the way the system works, gasoline additives will have no effect in cleaning this part of the intake. The intake has to be removed.

But, back to the tranny. In my opinion, replacing the fluid and filter is your best option. Try to get the fluid flushed as opposed to drained.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy **** that intake is dirrrrty! I've already ordered gaskets for it because I thought I was going to have to remove it to change the plugs,wires and coil pack. I can only imagine what my intake may look like. As far as the trans I'm going to take it to a trans shop for $40.00 they are going to change the fluid,adjust bands,adjust linkage,clean screen and replace the pan gasket and put a filter in(filter extra $) The ford dealer wanted $100.00 to flush it where they suck out the old fluid and replace it. Then they want $40.00 for a filter and $37.00(1/2 hour labor) to drop the pan and replace the filter. We will see how it acts after this. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I'd look into a flush, not a fluid change. a flush replaces nearly all of the transmission fluid. Although more pricey, I believe it's the way to go, especially with a delicate trans.

A fluid change, especially for $40, will only replace 3 of the quarts of fluid in the trans. So now you've got new fluid mixed in with the old worn out stuff.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by ryancornell+Jun 29 2004, 08:16 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ryancornell @ Jun 29 2004, 08:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Holy **** that intake is dirrrrty! [/b]

I laugh cus i though the same thing also when i first say it and then tEh BoB told me that mine was one of the cleaner he had seen :lol2:

<!--QuoteBegin-ryancornell
@Jun 29 2004, 08:16 AM
As far as the trans I'm going to take it to a trans shop for $40.00 they are going to change the fluid,adjust bands,adjust linkage,clean screen and replace the pan gasket and put a filter in(filter extra $)[/quote]

That's a pretty good price for all that they are going to do for you. Is it going to be a flush or a drain and fill?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 93 Sable@Jun 29 2004, 11:03 AM
I'd look into a flush, not a fluid change. a flush replaces nearly all of the transmission fluid. Although more pricey, I believe it's the way to go, especially with a delicate trans.

A fluid change, especially for $40, will only replace 3 of the quarts of fluid in the trans. So now you've got new fluid mixed in with the old worn out stuff.
Yeah, I see your point. I guess I can get the flush drive the car for a while then drop the pan and do the filter myself.

Hightecredneck and spridget- How did you clean up the intake? What specific cleaner did you guy's use?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by hightecredneck@Jun 29 2004, 11:22 AM
That's a pretty good price for all that they are going to do for you. Is it going to be a flush or a drain and fill?
I believe it's just for the drain and fill.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Plugs and wires are part of my upcoming work routine on my car, and at 76K, I'm sure my intake is ready to be cleaned, so I'd be very interested in a walkthrough on cleaning the whole thing up...

JR

·
Registered
51 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Jun 29 2004, 03:09 AM
Also, your Taurus has a 3.0L 24 valve dual overhead cam engine. These engine have secondary butterflies in the intake manifold. They get really dirty. I cleaned mine at 75k and found them to be quite filthy. If your car has 125K miles, the intake probably needs cleaning. Due to the way the system works, gasoline additives will have no effect in cleaning this part of the intake. The intake has to be removed.
Hey I know this is off-topic, but, I'm due to change the sparks and wires in my Sable (Duratec)...
If I find that my secondaries and this bad, how do I go about cleaning them?
Cheers!

Gor

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
What would you say your total downtime was, start to finish? I would like to do this, but since this is my daily driver, I can't have it apart for more than a day. My girlfriend's dad will be working with me, and he's ASE certified, but I'm just wondering what your experience was...

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Sorry for the delay in reply, it looks like Spridget already beat me to it and i just read his, looks the same as my experience and i used the same cleaners also.

Total downtime for me was two days (sat & Sun) but i took my time and plenty of breaks. More then likely it can be done in a full day assuming your mechanically inclined, don't run into any problems and have all your replacement gaskets ahead of time. Get the upper and lower intake gaskets and the rubber o-rings for the injectors. Rockauto.com has all of them for the cheapest price i have found (well at least cheaper then local stores even w/ s/h)

I bought a set of bored out secondaries from tEh BoB and he's P&P my upper so will be taking it all apart again in a few weeks when they arrive :D

This time I plan on installing a set of oil catch-can to keep my nice new intakes from getting all gunked up (or as gunked up as they were before). ;)

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Removing and replacing the intakes did not take long at all. Maybe an hour each way.

The longest part was the cleaning. At least two hours there.

I'm sure I could do it all again in about 4-6 hours at a leisurely pace.

I replaced all the plugs, wires, and PCV at the same time.

Get the gaskets before hand. They cost about $50-60 IIRC.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Jun 30 2004, 06:11 PM
Get the gaskets before hand. They cost about $50-60 IIRC.
yeah the upper gasket is about 18-20 and the lower is around 30-32. I believe the injector o rings were about 5-8 bucks for a set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by ryancornell@Jun 29 2004, 08:16 AM
Holy **** that intake is dirrrrty! I've already ordered gaskets for it because I thought I was going to have to remove it to change the plugs,wires and coil pack. I can only imagine what my intake may look like. As far as the trans I'm going to take it to a trans shop for $40.00 they are going to change the fluid,adjust bands,adjust linkage,clean screen and replace the pan gasket and put a filter in(filter extra $) The ford dealer wanted $100.00 to flush it where they suck out the old fluid and replace it. Then they want $40.00 for a filter and $37.00(1/2 hour labor) to drop the pan and replace the filter. We will see how it acts after this. Thanks for the feedback.
I have a transmission rebuilding business. There are no adjustable bands or linkage to adjust on your transmission. There is no screen that is accessable from the bottom pan. The only thing that can be replaced is the filter and pan gasket. If your pan has a reusable neoprene gasket make sure that it is reused or that one is supplied with the filter and fluid change. Cork impregnated gaskets will leak on this transmission.

Seriously, Any reference to adjusting bands must have been back in the early times such as the mid '50's. Bands that are adjustable are adjusted at assembly time and that's all. The lining of friction material is at the most .030 thick new and any slippage and wear and it's history. That's old advertising or hype being spouted to confuse the customer. You need to find someone that will tell you what they are really going to do.

Kreth

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by kreth+Jul 5 2004, 03:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kreth @ Jul 5 2004, 03:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ryancornell@Jun 29 2004, 08:16 AM
Holy **** that intake is dirrrrty! I've already ordered gaskets for it because I thought I was going to have to remove it to change the plugs,wires and coil pack.  I can only imagine what my intake may look like. As far as the trans I'm going to take it to a trans shop for $40.00 they are going to change the fluid,adjust bands,adjust linkage,clean screen and replace the pan gasket and put a filter in(filter extra $) The ford dealer wanted $100.00 to flush it where they suck out the old fluid and replace it.  Then they want $40.00 for a filter and $37.00(1/2 hour labor) to drop the pan and replace the filter.  We will see how it acts after this. Thanks for the feedback.
I have a transmission rebuilding business. There are no adjustable bands or linkage to adjust on your transmission. There is no screen that is accessable from the bottom pan. The only thing that can be replaced is the filter and pan gasket. If your pan has a reusable neoprene gasket make sure that it is reused or that one is supplied with the filter and fluid change. Cork impregnated gaskets will leak on this transmission.

Seriously, Any reference to adjusting bands must have been back in the early times such as the mid '50's. Bands that are adjustable are adjusted at assembly time and that's all. The lining of friction material is at the most .030 thick new and any slippage and wear and it's history. That's old advertising or hype being spouted to confuse the customer. You need to find someone that will tell you what they are really going to do.

Kreth [/b][/quote]
Thanks for the info. I was just reading what the trans shop said in their ad. The car is at the dealership right now getting the trans flushed. I'm driving it right home and dropping the pan and changing the filter. Thanks for all the help/info. Ryan

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by kreth@Jul 5 2004, 04:54 PM
Seriously, Any reference to adjusting bands must have been back in the early times such as the mid '50's. Bands that are adjustable are adjusted at assembly time and that's all.
A Ford C4 (3spd RWD) has band adjusters, I believe. That's not too old.

I don't think any AXODs have them though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts