Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a burning smell coming from my engine. It smells like coolant that is burning. I have also noticed smoke coming from underneath the hood but not all the time(probably from the coolant burning away.) Any ideas of where it would be coming from?

I have had problems with the coolant system before and usually can diagnose the problem or leak. My guess is the water pump seal but not sure how to check it. Do I have to take anything off to find out?

Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
Feel for coolant at the weep hole on the bottom of the pump.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 96 g3 does the same thing, it leaks from the timing cover on to the hot catalytic converter.

Comming off the highway this is quite the show :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here

The leak is coming from the housing that meets the engine. I have scoured threads and found that this is the timing cover and a pretty common area of leaks.

Looks like a fun project to tackle. I posted a pic and wanted to ask opinions to see if this is indeed what needs to be replaced. What else should I replace once Im down there? Thanks again guys. Another coolant leak diagnosed!

2001 SES Flex

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
If there are any hoses above this area that carry coolant, I'd suggest checking them for leaks too (I suspect you've already done that).

My experience with smoke coming out from under the hood, has so far been limited to the belt rubbing against a seized A/C pulley. To eliminate the chances that you may have a problem coincidental to the coolant leak, you might want to check all the pulleys, and check the belt for wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there are any hoses above this area that carry coolant, I'd suggest checking them for leaks too (I suspect you've already done that).

My experience with smoke coming out from under the hood, has so far been limited to the belt rubbing against a seized A/C pulley. To eliminate the chances that you may have a problem coincidental to the coolant leak, you might want to check all the pulleys, and check the belt for wear.
Checked all hoses, pulleys, belts everything. I have narrowed it down to timing cover gasket, head gasket or intake manifold gasket. About 99% sure it is timing cover gasket as I can see it bubble upwards when I run engine with cap off.

ANy quick tests to determine if it is head gasket or timing cover gasket?
Thanks guys. These forums are BIG help!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have narrowed it down to timing cover gasket, head gasket or intake manifold gasket. About 99% sure it is timing cover gasket as I can see it bubble upwards when I run engine with cap off.

ANy quick tests to determine if it is head gasket or timing cover gasket?
A test for blown head gaskets that can be quick if you have the equipment, is to do a compression test on the cylinders. If you don't have a compression tester, as you probably already know, you can rent one at any Autozone, O'Reilly, etc., and get your money back when you return it.

But since you're seeing a leak at the timing cover, it's pretty likely you're right that this is where at least some of the trouble is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts