Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 wagon stinks of burning oil but only when first warming up and only in the winter when temps are below freezing. It takes 4 minutes of driving before the car's heater blows warm and then the stink comes in from the engine bay thru the heater vents. But after another couple minutes it stops and doesn't smell at all until after the next cold start. So I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with a warm engine expanding some part. But it doesn't smell when the engine is cold and it doesn't smell after fully warmed up. It only smells when partially warmed up. The car doesn't use much oil at all and never needs any added between changes. Ideas?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the same issue on my '06 500. The valve cover was leaking oil on the exhaust pipe. It started small, then got worse. Changing the valve cover gasket fixed it.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
My '03 wagon stinks of burning oil but only when first warming up and only in the winter when temps are below freezing. It takes 4 minutes of driving before the car's heater blows warm and then the stink comes in from the engine bay thru the heater vents. But after another couple minutes it stops and doesn't smell at all until after the next cold start. So I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with a warm engine expanding some part. But it doesn't smell when the engine is cold and it doesn't smell after fully warmed up. It only smells when partially warmed up. The car doesn't use much oil at all and never needs any added between changes. Ideas?
For DOHC engines that is normal. All leak from the pan gasket and it drips on the cats and pipes.
For Vulcans likely valve cover gaskets but lots of places oil leaks.
I have now 3 DOHC '03's and had '01. Never had the smell coming in the cabin, just outside. I would check the rubber gasket that seals the back of the hood so engine bay air does not come out and gets in the cabin air inlet.
-chart-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts