Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok when I turn on the heat, as the car running on the highway (more than 40 mph) everything seems fine, but as i slow down to a stop. all the burning smell gets in and i saw smoke came out under the hood, on the passenger side (though not much)

If I switch the air/heat off the car runs fine no smell at all.

It does look like something leaked but i dont see any thing when i pop the hood.

The coolant is still the same/ok, and the car temperature is fine, no overheat.

What is going on? :(

Thanks!

p.s: Ford Taurus 1999 Wagon Vulcan V6 SOHC

·
Registered
562 Posts
There is another new thread about a similar problem:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/160458-smoke-engine-compartment-origin.html

Maybe pop the hood and try the sniff test to see if you can localize where it's coming from. Coolant, oil, and power steering fluid all have unique smells that might help trouble shoot it. The passenger side just happens to be where the belt and accessories are so give that area a good inspection. I had a fan relay burn up one time that smelled like something burning but it didn't last long before other symptoms showed up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply. I took a look under the hood and saw that the air compressor (I hope that I got it right) was probably the original. My car is about 115k miles now so I guess it's its time to go, also the alternator too. The thing is I think they are still working, but sound like they need lubrication. The smell might be from a leak in the air-conditioning system, im pretty sure it's not coolant.

Thank you for your support!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I took a look under the hood and saw that the air compressor (I hope that I got it right) was probably the original. My car is about 115k miles now so I guess it's its time to go, also the alternator too.

Are air-compressor and alternator DIY easily? How much average are the parts? I live in an apt so can't make a mess.

Thank you for your support!
the alternator is definitely a DIY and takes about 20 mins with the proper tools. the ac compressor is a bit more difficult and troublesome but you can manage if you get a Chilton manual. these motors are not hard at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The compressor clutch is all rusty and rattles badly. I think that is the root cause. Is it cheaper to just get a clutch and replace or to get and replace the whole compressor since there's labor involves.

Base on this post: Air conditioner keeps trying to click on when heat is turned on?(please help lol)

I can just remove the a/c clutch fuse to temporary fix the issue, but base on the diagram: Image:99fuse 06.png - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki there are fuses at 25, 27 and a clutch diode at 33. So which should i pull out???

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The compressor clutch is all rusty and rattles badly. I think that is the root cause. Is it cheaper to just get a clutch and replace or to get and replace the whole compressor since there's labor involves.

Base on this post: Air conditioner keeps trying to click on when heat is turned on?(please help lol)

I can just remove the a/c clutch fuse to temporary fix the issue, but base on the diagram: Image:99fuse 06.png - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki there are fuses at 25, 27 and a clutch diode at 33. So which should i pull out???

Thanks!
If your clutch bearing is shot it will likely fail soon and leave the car undriveable. It can be replaced along with the clutch(without replacing the compressor), but it is a pain to get at.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found this at TascaParts:
TascaParts.com

Is 1999 Ford Taurus SE Vulvan V6 engine = SOHC? The price at TascaParts is for the whole assembly. Is it labor intensive to replace the whole ASY? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Found this at TascaParts:
TascaParts.com

Is 1999 Ford Taurus SE Vulvan V6 engine = SOHC? The price at TascaParts is for the whole assembly. Is it labor intensive to replace the whole ASY? Thanks!
I did mine while replacing tranny(subframe out). Search forums to see if someone posted another way. Make sure you set the air gap correctly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could the smoke have been coming from the belt rubbing against the AC pulley, if the pulley (or its clutch, or even the compressor) is sometimes seizing up? That's what happened with my 1994 3.8L. Caused the belt to snap too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts