Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 2001 Ford Taurus i just got and i like the front bumper and front grill on the newer Taurus (2005?) better then the 2001. could i just swap these? also could i just swap right in a 2001 sable front bumper? i really like the sable bumper with fog lights.

Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
not 100% positive on this, but I believe if you changed out the grille and bumper, you would have to changed out the hood too. because the top of the grilles on the 00 to 03s are rounded and the 04 to 07s are more pointed kind of like a rounded trapezoid... So looking at the hood where it meets the grille, i believe it was slightly redesigned there. Ive looked at this with my 02 next to my friends 06. I thought about doing this myself...

·
Registered
294 Posts
or it could just be, the roundness of the early gen 4s that are fooling my eyes. the hoods could be identical. in that case, yes you could swap them out. but you'd have to further investigate that.

as for the sable swap, no. the headlight shapes are different.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
It is a feasible swap. The hood is the same on all gen 4's (2000-07).

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The gen 4 Sable hood is different than the gen 4 Taurus though. :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you want a newer Taurus front end, grab the bumper cover and the grille.

If you want a Sable front end, grab the fenders, hood, bumper and styrofoam bumper absorber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
where the heck can you find a billet 04-07 grille? i've seen the 00-03's but nowhere can i find an 04-07 billet grille to match the bumper.

·
Registered
294 Posts
what do you mean by billet? I googled that word and apparently it has something to do with soldiers living quarters. anyway, if you mean the chrome spear with ford logo, that was only part of the 00-03's. they trashed that in the gen 4.5. if you mean the honeycomb black plastic, they all have it. theres nothing else I could think you possibly mean. theres 3 features to the grille. the ford badge, the spear, and the honeycomb grille itself. and of course the clips that attach it to the front end.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^+1 Aftermarket.....
( a billet is also what a machine ready ingot of steel or aluminum is called. A billet grill insert (or axle, crankshaft, fuel rail, or whatever) is made out of one-piece and/or pieces of strong and/or lightweight metal, possibly welded together like a grill assembly, but not cast. Always refers to metal, not plastic, parts.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whitecow you are a lucky man. I actually bought my grille for my 2000 taurus from Grilletech and had them install it because they are located about 5 miles from my house hahaha... how ironic huh. I was definitely very pleased with the finished product, the guy that owns the place is really cool and I was actually able to talk him down on price :D, and he even showed me all the steps on how they make them along with the machinery they use (well except for a few things since all their billet grilles are custom-made). I highly recommend Grille Tech if your going to get a billet grille... Call him up, his name his ryan, and tell him I recommended you a grille (the name's jeff and mention i got a silver 2000 taurus), who knows maybe he'll give you a little discount:lol2:

It's kinda hard to see on mine since its painted gloss black but I attached a pic of my friend's altima he did

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
O yea i also forgot to mention why they are only in the business of making grilles: they are only 1 of 3 manufacturers in the U.S. who sells to distributors and retailers aka custom car shops. They sell alot of product in bulk from what i've seen there so there is a good chance that if you ever stepped into a place looking for a billet grille that it is from Grille Tech.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
^ Looks great. I've been thinking of getting one of those to replace the honeycomb grille in the SEL. However, I may try to transfer the chrome "wings" and Ford emblem over.

Will paint it black of course.

I've always wondered how the Nightshades tint spray (and clearcoat) would look over chrome or billet. Black chrome looks great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Damn that black billet grille looks great. Im wondering what would look better on a white car with centennial headlights. chrome or black grille. heres a pic:

either or would be cool, i like the white chromed out look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the idea of painting the billet grille white (i dont think there are such terms as white or black "chrome", its just paint). Also what else might look good is if you painted the chrome wings black on the white billet grille. I think that would look sick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts