Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First Post.

I have a 2002 that has some cosmetic damage to the front bumper cover that I'd like to get fixed. I also have access to a bumper cover from a 2004-2006 for cheap already painted the same color as my car. Is the 2004 bumper cover an easy bolt on swap? I assume I'd have to replace the grill as they appear to be different shapes, but the headlights appear to be the same. Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I searched the forum for an hour and didn't find anything on this specific topic.

-B

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
It's the same generation, Gen4, but bumpers are things that are subject to running changes. You have to remove the air dam to be completely sure, maybe even the headlights.

Mounting points as show in the 04 manual (the illustration on the left shows the removal of the air dam, with its 7 screws (1) and 3 bolts (2) :
[attachment=29076:bumper04.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yep, the grille and the bumper itself are the only differences. It's a direct bolt on, although the trim lines on the front bumper won't match the rear bumper (they're wider on later cars). Everything underneath is exactly the same.

It's an easy job - I can have the bumper off of my car in probably less than 10 minutes. This is how I do it:

1. Jack up the front of the car, support on jackstands, and remove the front wheels. You don't HAVE to, but it's a LOT easier. I've done it with the car sitting on all four wheels, but it's a pain and takes a lot less time to just jack it up.
2. Remove the front halves of the fender liners. It's three philips head screws, a small hex screw (holding the fender liner to the aeroshield under the bumper), and a push pin on each side.
3. Remove the aeroshield. It's five more small hex screws holding it to the bumper cover and three bolts holding it to the car. Again, removing it isn't completely necessary, but I find it much easier to get it all the way out of the way - it makes it wasier to get everything lined up when reinstalling.
4. Remove the headlight housings. Two pins, one bolt, and an electrical connector on each side.
5. Remove the grille. Four push pins.
6. Remove the two push pins holding the bumper to the core support.
7. Remove the bumper-to-fender bolts on each side.
8. Remove the bumper cover. It will still be held by clips to the fenders. It basically rocks up and off those clips, and it's free of the car.

A lot of these steps can be done in different orders, but that's all that holds it on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info (and pictures). Looks like it might be worth the $60. I should be able to get a grille on ebay pretty easy. I was thinking of replacing the headlights anyway as they are virtually useless they're so clouded up. Might as well do that while I'm at it especially if taking them off would make it easier.

Ford_SES, what do you mean by the front bumper is wider on the 04-06? I see that the molding design is slightly different, but looking at them both dead on from the back, its not apparent to me that the 04-06 is any wider. If the rear quarters are the same how can the rear bumper be wider on those model years?

-B

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
he meant that the body line on the newer bumpers are wider not that the bumper itself is wider. should clean up your old headlights and do the centenial mod to them

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (sable23 @ Apr 6 2009, 10:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715846
he meant that the body line on the newer bumpers are wider not that the bumper itself is wider. should clean up your old headlights and do the centenial mod to them[/b]
Exactly - the trim lines on the later bumpers are about twice as wide and has sharper edges compared the early bumpers. You can tell if you look at a car with one of each bumper looking straight at the side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Apr 7 2009, 12:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715889
QUOTE (sable23 @ Apr 6 2009, 10:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715846
he meant that the body line on the newer bumpers are wider not that the bumper itself is wider. should clean up your old headlights and do the centenial mod to them[/b]
Exactly - the trim lines on the later bumpers are about twice as wide and has sharper edges compared the early bumpers. You can tell if you look at a car with one of each bumper looking straight at the side.
[/b][/quote]

Ok. I see that. I like the cleaner, crisper lines of the 04+ bumpers. Looks a little less...sloppy I guess.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yes, completely interchangeable. Same thing, just the grille and bumper.

I still personally wouldn't do just one, and if my next one turns out to be an '04-'05, it's probably getting '00-'03 bumpers. I'm pretty sure the bumpers are about the same price regardless of which design you get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts