Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the problem....

I have power, at least a little, because the lights and everything come on fine. I cleaned the terminals (little to no corrosion) and had the battery tested to make sure it could still put out the amps it needed (it's just now a year old).

When I turn the ignition, I can hear the relay click, but nothing happens.

Here are my 2 guesses (thanks to some forum searching):
1. Starter/starter solenoid. I figure that this is probably the most likely, as I've had times in the past where the starter didn't want to turn over very fast, but eventually that "went away."

2. Wire corrosion? I mean, I guess the wire to the starter could be corroded to the point that it isn't getting the amps it needs to fire the starter.

I'm going to continue my searching, though I was hoping a video could help someone here identify exactly what the issue is... (if you don't see the video immediately, give it a minute, as I just finished uploading it)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1aDEHLoz_XE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1aDEHLoz_XE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
so i had a similar problem with my 98 a few weeks ago. i came out of the restaurant with my girlfriend and her father and "click" .... nothing "click" nothing.... it happened to be corrosion on the starter wires so i wound up just hitting and jiggling them and sure enough it started. when i got home i disconnected them and cleaned them properly and i haven't had a problem since. check them first, then look into the other stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Schumacher609 @ Mar 15 2009, 07:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708893
so i had a similar problem with my 98 a few weeks ago. i came out of the restaurant with my girlfriend and her father and "click" .... nothing "click" nothing.... it happened to be corrosion on the starter wires so i wound up just hitting and jiggling them and sure enough it started. when i got home i disconnected them and cleaned them properly and i haven't had a problem since. check them first, then look into the other stuff.[/b]
thanks...i'll give that a shot tomorrow. i just pulled out the manual to find out the best way to get to the starter to see how easy it'd be to remove in case the wires aren't the problem. i might have to have a shop take it in, just because i can't afford to be out of a car for more than a day

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hook a jumper cable directly to the +12v on the starter and another to the positive on the battery and give it a whirl. That will at least tell you if the starter is junk or your cable is corroded.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up being the starter :(

It was wet and raining all weekend and Monday, and I had no way to get it home (plus my jack stands and ramps are in Greenville), I had it towed to the shop and fixed.

$55 tow, $60, $160 new starter (they wouldn't let me get a used one...I don't like it, but I understand part of their position with this), and tax ended up being like $290. Not bad, but not great, considering now my fan inside the car has completely stopped working (before it was off or max), but that's a story for another thread...

Thanks for the help, all

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
My mom's 2000 Taurus needed a new starter at 12,000 miles. :glare:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts