Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, an 87 Wagon came up for sale on TCCA, about a couple of hours up the road from me.

As y'all know, I had an 87 Sedan that was the "infamous" Mustang Dash floor shift GL. Unfortunately, due to rusty gas tank, rust in the gas, clogged injectors, hacked up wiring under the hood, hacked up wiring for the "dash mod", as well as, the need for a complete brake overhaul and a complete suspension overhaul to enjoy, I decided to grab what I had replaced on it, and let it go. It also had rust along the bottom of the doors, trunk lid, etc.

So it was sent off to Pull A Part while scrap prices were high. Decided it was time to move along.

-------
This past Sunday, I went up to "Upcountry SC" and picked up my new to me 1987 Ford Taurus GL station wagon, from TCCA member Barkentine. He had owned this car since 1994 and had put on well over 100K miles during his ownership. This vehicle came with:
--Rebuilt trans in the past 60k
--Newer engine added that only had 30k on it, about 50-60k ago.
--Never been in an accident, ever in it's entire existence! Pretty incredible for a nearly 25 year old car!
--No rust in normal places
--Full and complete maintenance records back to the early 90s, as well as loads of documentation.

This wagon, over the sedan, was a runner driver, and made the 100+ mile trek back to Columbia without issue.

This wagon is a bit oddly equipped:
--Manual windows and manual locks
--Light group (maplights, underhood light, footwell light, "lights are on dinger")
--Automatic Parking Brake release (works from P to D only, not P to R).
--Gas cap release
--Powerless seats
--Cruise
--AC
--Rear defogger & wiper

So on to the pics...

No rust!

The clearcoat is peeling off the rear, so I'll try to finish it up soon so it looks more or less 1 color.

So what's on tap for this thing (order of importance):
--Shocks in the rear
--Valve cover gaskets
--Steering rack (and lines if needed) (and new outer tie rods)
--Machine rotors (mad steering wheel shake when brakeing)...and if need be do the rubber lines and put new pads/calipers on)
--Front suspension overhaul (struts, springs, mounts, bushings, lower control arms etc)
--New AC compressor & heater core (and evaporator core if needed) (one's locked up, the other is clogged).

And yes, this is equally a lot of work. However, this car is a much better vehicle to bring back to life. There is no hacked up wiring jobs. No rusty crap to deal with. Everything is there and complete. I'll take my time with this stuff too, no rush.

That's enough blabbing/typing from me for now. Just figured I'd post up about it!

And special thanks to TCCA member Mike234 for coming down to Columbia to bring me up to Barentine's place.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Congratulations Nick!!
Looks like you plan on staying busy for awhile!!
We do expect you to drive it up to MI next summer!!
Maybe?? :)

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Nice! Gotta love a wagon :dude:

Sounds like it needs a little work but it's nothing major.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yea...I'll be busy with it haha. I REALLY need to find a power adjustable driver's seat. Junkyard hunting this weekend maybe...

Hahah....we'll have to see how it's running at that time. I think I'd prefer having the Duratec going over the WV and OH hills :)

I am loving the wagon though, it's a great vehicle. All I can think of is Clark Griswold when driving it :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Oh yea...I'll be busy with it haha. I REALLY need to find a power adjustable driver's seat. Junkyard hunting this weekend maybe...

Hahah....we'll have to see how it's running at that time. I think I'd prefer having the Duratec going over the WV and OH hills :)

I am loving the wagon though, it's a great vehicle. All I can think of is Clark Griswold when driving it :lol:

You know Nick, there ARE woody kits out there. With others doing Robo-Cop reproductions, I think you have the prime car to do a movie replica yourself. YOU could have the Griswold Taurus from Christmas Vacation. :lol2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ :rofl: Another way to get looks from others on the road...

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
"Burn dust, eat my rubber" :rofl:

Yea the duratec, now that I can actually feel the power, really does have balls for being a v6. I'm still of the opinion that the wagon is just as fast as my 4.6 tbird.

I had a 92 3.0 GL and that car was really 'peppy'. I actually really enjoyed driving that car! I'd probibly still be driving that thing if it didnt get hit. I had it parked outside an ex's house and some idiot backed into it pushing it like 5 feet from where it was parked. 2 weeks later the trans went but that's all off topic.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang pushed it 5 feet? Wow. Impressive.

Hey you got all the lights you need inside now Mike!

Installed an 89-91 front plastic header panel, lights, and a police grill yesterday evening. Since I didn't have a plate up front, I tacked on a plate I grabbed at Pull A Part for $1. Considering they cost $10-20, well worth it :)

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Congrats on the new wagon, Nick! Looks in excellent shape for something that old.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. It is in dang good shape for its age. I just replaced the valve cover gaskets this evening. The shop that installed the new valve cover gaskets about 50-60k ago left half the bolts not even finger tight. no wonder this thing was leaking. Installed some FelPro ones from AutoZone for under $20. I'm sure it'll take a few hundred miles to burn off residual oil, but better than smelling burning oil all the time.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today, I fixed/replaced a few things...
--Installed a new NOS Motorcraft fuel cap. Also took the time to clean out the filler neck area and filler access door, got rid of 25 years of dirt, sand, clay and salt. Messy!!! Great shape now.
--Adjusted the striker for the rear hatch to verify that the issue with the "LIFTGATE AJAR" light always being on could be corrected by moving it, per RocketFoot's post awhile back. Hatch still could be moved/rattled around quite easily...this is due to the bushing not being there on the striker.
--Installed a rear hatch striker from the junkyard that had a good bushing on it. After properly aligning it, not only did I remove a squeak/rattle, the hatch latches very well now.
--Also installed a clock from the junkyard that had a working lightbulb! Now I can see the time. Gen 1 clocks are pretty cool...they have the time, date, and a timer (good for 0-60s....just not in this vehicle).

·
Registered
447 Posts
B.G.,

The clock that came with the car when I bought it, was still working when I pulled it out and put it in my MT-5. The burned out bulb one you removed, came out of a Gen 1 in that junkyard near Gastonia, N.C.. It worked for a short while.

(Really, FORD could have designed around a more generic bulb to use for the backlight.)

Any observations on the gas filler noise and the NOS cap?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow...so Ford put some quality into that bulb, just not the one you got from Gastonia? Sheesh. Maybe an LED bulb or something can be retrofitted?

Oh well...Ford really should have used a more generic bulb. Very frustrating how hard it is to find a working one.

So far nothing to report on the gas filler noise and NOS cap. Was in the middle of replacing the steering rack and the fuel pump (or something) went out on my sedan. So now I'm carless.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Did you get the fuel pump fixed in the '00?

It's a pain to change when the tank is over half full. Otherwise, it's a fairly easy job, with a floor jack and a few hand tools.

BTW, I checked the logbooks for the Wagon and didn't see where the pump had ever been changed. That may be the OEM in it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to go the legal route to get my 2000 addressed. Station owner will not work with me...it was bad gas, not the pump luckily.

I've seen more Gen 3s and 4s with the fuel tanks dropped at the yards for the fuel pump than I have Gen 1s and 2s. Motorcraft must have changed the design/quality.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This evening, I got the 87s dashboard out. Took me a little over 2 hours. There were a number of harnesses that went through the firewall that connected straight to a component (IE wiper motor) with out a disconnect somewhere before or after the firewall...even one that ran all the way from inside the car up to the voltage regulator.

Now will be moving on to removing the "black box" to replace the heater core and the evap core. Then will be replacing the AC compressor, o-rings, accumulator/drier, orfice line/tube, etc.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Nice pick! I remember a Gen1 as my first car.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
Take your time. As much as I like cool new updates, this should be a quality build.
Hey PM me your address on one of the sites... I got to send you some stickers.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.