Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just Purchased some APC headlights for my gen II and the wattage is 100/80 Actual and the XENON Equivalent wattage is 130 will this melt my housing? Also it says for off road use only but i doubt the local authorities care that much those new BMW's and Caddy's Headlights are blinding. Let me know if there will be damage.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I at one point had 80/100 watt bulbs in my gen 3. nothing happend. but bought brights had burned out at the same time. that was freaky at the time. but luckily the dims worked. but everything looked fine with wireing and such. i keeped hearing to much about burning the wiring that i decided to go back to the 55/65 watt bulbs. That was my 2 cents. They lasted about 3 weeks and there was no appaerant damage. Someone else might know though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Several people have reported melted wiring using higher wattage bulbs. It would be a good idea (and relatively inexpensive and easy mod) to buy an upgraded wiring harness. Plus, you will get much better performance out of the bulbs with the new harness.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah at the Checker by my house they have a APC wiring harness for headlights that says HID conversion. I know its not true but it can prolly withstand higher wattage, for 45 bucks that aint bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are going to use the 80/100 watt bulbs, then you had better upgrade the wiring harness. This is from experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts