Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally decided it was time to stop thinking and time to start doing.

Paid somebody on caraudio.com $10 to design a box for me, they have been extremely helpful, and I would recommend anybody who needs a design and is willing to pay for it, to give D&L Audio Technologies the opportunity.

Anyways, After all was said and done, wired and ready to be put in the car, I ran into several snags which delayed the project a few hours.

The first one was the fact the box had to have weighed 250lbs. The odd shape, the weight made it extremely hard to maneuver. Luckily, My friends had a dolly and I was able to move it closer to the car.

Had to put the box in the back seat and slide it back into the trunk. This would have been fine, except I incorrectly measured how much room I had.. Even with trimming the sheet metal behind the seat, I had to remove the carpet in the trunk, lift, prod, pull, push up on the rear parcel shelf, to get it into place. I was in the trunk making adjustments, my g/f was in the back seat pushing it with her feet. Finally we got it into position.

Due to my incorrect judgement, I had to part with my trunk tension rods, and the carpet.

Anyways, so far, it is definitely louder than the old sealed box. But time will tell if I do truly like it. Anyways, pics!

[attachment=33441:wood.jpg]
[attachment=33437:box2.jpg]
[attachment=33438:box3.jpg]
[attachment=33439:box4.jpg]
[attachment=33440:box5.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
i like it. looks good . they are louder your right there i do not care as much for the sq out of ported boxes or lines the cone seems to bonce a few extra times when it should not and wreck the sq. i find this mostly with 15's some times 10-12's. i think with my three in a ported in my truck i am hitting 141 about the same as i was with the two in a line that was extremely tuned. if i put four in a ported i should hit 144 in the truck unless i tune the hell out of it. but since your in the car it will be a little lower in spl the further you get away from the windshield. if i had the time i mite try google sketch up and give out some free plans to bad it not compatible with windows seven or at least was not wile i was checking on it.any ways looks awesome.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope i hit higher than 141. I did that sealed at 35hz already with this set up.

I think a problem with ported is people probably do not normally take the time to set up their subsonic filter. I tried tinkering with mine, but I am probably going to have to get an eq so I don't go below tuning.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks pretty good man. I'm guessing you aren't going to bother putting carpet on it or paining it huh?

I really need to get around to building mine too. Does anybody know if Home Depot will also cut out the openings? Or do they only do straight cuts?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Buy a jigsaw :smiley5: you will never be sorry you bought it and it is always a nice skill to obtain. Really doesn't take much practice. Draw the circle, drill a hole in the middle of it, cut with the jigsaw center outwards in a X shape and start to curve the cut towards the outside.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drawing the circles was the worst part for me! I almost gave up on the whole project.

Home depot will do the straight cuts, but mine were not all perfect so keep that in mind.

I cut the wholes out with a jig saw, and it turned out just fine.

And painting/carpeting, oh hell no. the only way that thing is coming back out is in pieces. lol.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (Zeptoplix @ Jun 8 2010, 11:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810384
Drawing the circles was the worst part for me! I almost gave up on the whole project.

Home depot will do the straight cuts, but mine were not all perfect so keep that in mind.

I cut the wholes out with a jig saw, and it turned out just fine.

And painting/carpeting, oh hell no. the only way that thing is coming back out is in pieces. lol.[/b]

for circles buy a compass and follow the line. compasses can be found at drafting supply stores or staples etc... any ways get one with a marker attachment there like 5 or ten bucks for the hole set up cheaper then a router. 100+40 equals 140 for the router set up. any ways great job. :thumb:

·
Registered
524 Posts
QUOTE (RByers @ Jun 8 2010, 12:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810276
Buy a jigsaw :smiley5: you will never be sorry you bought it and it is always a nice skill to obtain. Really doesn't take much practice. Draw the circle, drill a hole in the middle of it, cut with the jigsaw center outwards in a X shape and start to curve the cut towards the outside.[/b]
Haha funny smiley. Haha OK I think Harbor Freight sells really cheap ones anyway. I'll buy one from there. Now I just need the money and the time to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts