Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after about a few months of thinking about and finally convincing my folks. Ive decided that im going to build a PC with my tax return money. Ive torn them down and put them back together in school so it shouldnt be to hard to do. I already have a case in mind, its a Xion Solaris As for space im not sure if Im going to go with the 500gigs or 250 with at least 4gigs of ram. I have an external hard drive that has 500gigs and just use that to back up music, movies and software. I was mainly going to use the machine for gaming, movies so a blue ray player will be added in as well. Any ideas for a motherboard and graphics card? I havent really read up on whats good with the bluerays but my friend has one in his and im going to see what hes running for it this week(his machine is water cooled ) Any input will be great thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
i am running a budget system with an AMD 64 X2 6000 and a asus motherboard 4 gigs of ram and a Nvidia Geforce 9600 768 meg card. it works great. I game with it all the time.

card only cost 76 bucks and it rocks

I have A 320 Hard drive all bundled up in a X- Qpack case to save room and all my temps are normal.

you don't have to buy the best video card just buy something good.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
My suggestion for a mother board would be a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128358
This board has 2 extra layers of thick copper embeded in the stack and runs at half the resistance of most mainboards and stays nice and cool!

Power supply suggestion!
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006
Its pricey but you get what you pay for! This thing is super quiet! you will not hear it! lots of plugs! It even comes in its own velvet bag like a bottle of crown!

Have fun building your rig and lets see some pics when you get it done!

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I suggest avoiding cheap power supplies. Try to find a power supply that has at a minimum 450 watts out put. I would also suggest avoiding tiger direct like the plague. I suggest using http://www.pricewatch.com for parts.

I would use a ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution mobo with an i7 chip and a GeForce GTS 250 512 MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 Video Card. This configuration will be fast enough and computable for at least next four or five years.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Mar 18 2009, 01:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710028
I suggest avoiding cheap power supplies. Try to find a power supply that has at a minimum 450 watts out put. I would also suggest avoiding tiger direct like the plague. I suggest using http://www.pricewatch.com for parts.

I would use a ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution mobo with an i7 chip and a GeForce GTS 250 512 MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 Video Card. This configuration will be fast enough and computable for at least next four or five years.[/b]
+1 on staying away from cheap power supplies, also avoid cheap ram

Ive never had any problems ordering from tigerdirect...ordered from them for years, first computer I built came from them

Well I just built a gaming computer not to long ago

I've got a core 2 quad with an intel motherboard, 6 gigs of ddr3 ram, 1 gig ati radeon pci express card, 650 watt psu, dvd burner, got a internal 500 gig hd, and an external 500 gig hd. I must say its a pretty sweet computer, no problem with speed or running games

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
PS. Don't confuse Maximum Output with Output on your power supply! When I say 450 watts output I mean it can handle that much load all day and all night, a 450 watt supply is going to have a maximum output of 500 (cheap POS) - 750 (High Quality) watts.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I wouldn't touch a gigabyte mother board with a 10ft pole. Nothing but problems. Asus and DFI are the ****.

CPU- Any decent C2D will do the job and then some
Motherboard- Whatever your budget allows
Video card- Basically, either a 8600, 8800 9600 or 9800 (nvida) will be PLENTY for a long time, unless your going to run at >1920x1200.

PS, Tigerdirect sucks, period. Every time I've ordered from them, I ALWAYS get the wrong item. I also ordered an OEM CPU and half the pins were bent.

Newegg or bust.

·
Registered
223 Posts
it does depend on what you want to spend and how long you want it to be good. i would go with dual GTX295 but i game in tournaments alot with graphics maxed, nvidia does have some good cheap cards but i would try to at least stay at the 9800 series. Stay away from the 9800gx2 though cus it tends too overheat easily. ATI is good too its all about your preference(they tend to run hotter and have higher power needs but also have a higher max temp.) AGREE WITH THE NEWEGG THING they are amazing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
wow, maybe I've been in the dark about the tigerdirect thing. guess im the only one thats ordered stuff from them multiple times and had no problems.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i never had problems with them either however newegg tends to have much better deals.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Never had a problem with Tiger. But I do prefer NCIX in Canada, not sure about their shipping charges to the states though. If you're going with 4 gigs of ram, you should plan on running a 64-Bit OS since you can only address about 3/4 of that memory on a 32-Bit OS.

For a Video card, just about anything with DDR3 memory would be good. I wouldn't spend too much on a video card right now since there's big changes coming in graphics rendering in the next few years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (GUN SHO @ Mar 18 2009, 01:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710019
So after about a few months of thinking about and finally convincing my folks. Ive decided that im going to build a PC with my tax return money. Ive torn them down and put them back together in school so it shouldnt be to hard to do. I already have a case in mind, its a Xion Solaris As for space im not sure if Im going to go with the 500gigs or 250 with at least 4gigs of ram. I have an external hard drive that has 500gigs and just use that to back up music, movies and software. I was mainly going to use the machine for gaming, movies so a blue ray player will be added in as well. Any ideas for a motherboard and graphics card? I havent really read up on whats good with the bluerays but my friend has one in his and im going to see what hes running for it this week(his machine is water cooled ) Any input will be great thanks guys.[/b]

500 GB should be a good HDD size. Just look up the reliability and speed on the one you choose. Try to nab a 45nm processor, they don't cost extra and they stay very cool, even when overclocked. I actually like Gigabyte motherboards, they're very solid and have a lot of tweaking features. Asus is good too but everytime I bought an Asus, one or more of the SATA ports were nonfuctional.

Make sure the graphics card you choose supports HDCP if you plan on watching Blurays.

Oh yeah and Newegg ftw. TigerDirect is ok but they advertised a out of stock item as in stock so I had to wait a month to actually get it. Was worth it though, 1.5TB 7200.11 for only $80 =D

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
QUOTE (Millermagic @ Mar 20 2009, 06:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710752
I bought a netbook with my "tax return money". Love it.[/b]
I bought one of the original MSI Wind netbooks last summer. One of the best computer's I've ever bought :) They are just so handy and portable.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (mikeo007 @ Mar 20 2009, 07:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710775
QUOTE (Millermagic @ Mar 20 2009, 06:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=710752
I bought a netbook with my "tax return money". Love it.[/b]
I bought one of the original MSI Wind netbooks last summer. One of the best computer's I've ever bought :) They are just so handy and portable.
[/b][/quote]

I got an Acer Aspire One AOD 150 model. It's 10.1''. I'm in love with the thing. It's a better "notebook" than my notebooks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts