Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 tauras,130000 kms.It works great in town and on the highway until it comes to a hill and downshifts.It will buck a couple of times and then smoothout.Does the same with or without cruise being on.Seems like when it gets to around 3000 rpm it does this.Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the engine light is not on,like i said,it works great til it hits around 3000 rpm,kinda bucks a couple times and work great again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its been awhile for plugs and wires,rest was done last fall.But everything ive seen so far seems to be pointing to the camshaft position sensor .Juat seems weird to run so good except for the few seconds it shifts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there is a noise on the drivers side when it does this.Things ive read on other forums are pointing to cmp

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some 2000-2003 Taurus, Sable, Ranger vehicles equipped with a 3.0L 2-valve gas or FFV engine may exhibit a buck/jerk/miss during drive cycles above 3000 RPM with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's). A possible cause is the camshaft synchronizer assembly. Since the camshaft position (CMP) fault monitor is not active above 2500 RPM, no diagnostic trouble code (P0340) is set during the drive concern, thus making it difficult to diagnose the root cause component.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2003 with kind of the same thing mine misses at 2000rpm in park and drive when its cold and makes a rattling noise around the same area you mentioned, I already did the cam sensor with no luck.......I am going to try the synchronizer tomorrow night, will let you know or post my findings. Also I have no engine codes!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Some 2000-2003 Taurus, Sable, Ranger vehicles equipped with a 3.0L 2-valve gas or FFV engine may exhibit a buck/jerk/miss during drive cycles above 3000 RPM with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's). A possible cause is the camshaft synchronizer assembly. Since the camshaft position (CMP) fault monitor is not active above 2500 RPM, no diagnostic trouble code (P0340) is set during the drive concern, thus making it difficult to diagnose the root cause component.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner. :)

Replace it now. If it fails, so does your oil pump. Then you get to replace the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got the synchronizer assembly in,fixed the problem,works better than it ever did,thanks everyone for there help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts