Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i am new to this site, i just bought a 1997 taurus gl 3.0 v6 automatic with138000 miles. I dont have any records on the car but i would say the previous owner (s) did the the bear minimal (if at all) to this car. I was driving today and the temp guage shot up to red, i pulled over immediately to access the problem . When i opened the hood i saw smoke comming from the overflow bottle on the right fender well, the car was over heating, i looked carefully and did not notice any leaks,ripped hoses,or dripping from the waterpump.However the antifreeze was pouring out from the cap. I let the car cool down and proceeded home. When i got home i checked more thouroughly and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary wrong. I looked at the waterpump, hoses, and overflow bottle, everything seemed fine. I put straight water in the overflow and noticed it was bubbling when i took off the cap. I have never lost any water before but upon close inspection i noticed the heater core was bi-passed, ok no biggie, then i noticed the fans were also bipassed 2.This meant they were running as soon as the car was turned to the onn poss.. on the ignition. I checked the oil it also appeared fine(no antifreeze)also no smoke out the exhaust. Finally it was nighttime and i had no light. Just wondering, anyone think stuck thermostat, i dont think headgasket because no antifreeze in oil or tailpipe, also waterpump is free from any noise or leaks. I thought there was air in the system also. But why the bubbling out of the overflow? Any help would be appreciated thanxx.....

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
WELCOME! The heater core bypass you see, are the lines going into the firewall completely cut and bypassed, or were the inlet and outlet hoses cut and have "t's" in them with a tub connecting inlet to outet?

Reason i ask is because there is suppost to be a "bypass" across the heater core, its a recal thing that helps the cooling of the rear head..

Heres more info on it http://www.tauruscarclub.com/forum/index.p...=0&#entry106728

Ibviously, f the fans are rigged, they had a problem. Id check the heater core to see if its plugged up and fix any riggin there, also fix the fans. Most importantly, replace the thermostat and give the engine a backflush, the cooling system on the early vulcan taurii had minor issues.

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx... yes the heater core is totally bipassed. I am going to change the thermostat tommorow .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny thing this morning i checked the fluid level, it was full, i drove around for an hour and not once did the temp get hot. Maybe it was just a sticking thermostat. lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
If your coolant was brown and muddy looking there is a good chance the fines on your water pump are rusted away if the pump is original, also might whant to replace the thermastat with a 185F. This will lower the operating psi within the cooling system. the pic below is my 97 water pump with 85K at the time of replacing.

good Luck

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts