Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Bruce's First Accident

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  mwt 
G
#1 ·
well it finally happened..my first accident with Bruce.
I was driving, minding my own business when a late 70's model impala or something along those lines wanted in my lane...his side panel bumper hit my quarter panel...and to say the least, the damn a-hole didn't stop! he acted like he was going to stop, and then went off like a bat outta hell. How rude...my poor car!!

and now i have to decide whether or not i should file a report and pay my 500 dollar deductable or just pay for it out of my own pocket later....hmm, stupid people..

See less See more
#2 ·
Dang that Sucks! I had someone zoooom right by me yesterday while i was turning ( my blinker was on). Glad your OK though. Good luck with insurance if you go that way.

Not like its time to celebrate....but 100posts

#4 ·
good ur ok, and doesnt look too bad
1st thing 1st, dont let greg fix it. u might be able to just take off the fender and hammer it back and sand it down, then primer, spraypaint, and gloss. and be as good as new? is ur bumper damaged too? is the paint on the front bumper scratched, or taken off? cause if thats his paint, i have something to remove that, but yeah, that sucks. werent u in another accident a lil while back, and u got a stang gt to drive?

#6 ·
At least you are ok, which the most important part

But still, that still sucks
Stupid people who won't stop when they do something like that

As mario said, it's rather even (from the pics), and it may be able to be put back into shape, and maybe even not need a repaint. I have gotten paint swaps like that out before, just depends on how deep it is as to if it needs to be repainted or not. The swap can definately come out, just how deep it is depends on the repaint issue.

#7 ·
That alsmost happened to me a couple days ago. This little girl in Focus decides she want in my lane and just merges over, no blinker, no warning. I hesistated and thought about bumpimg her (spridget is an aggressive driver
) but I let her over and hit horn..... dumb chick

Poor Bruce....
My insurance deductible is $500 also, but uninsured motorist / hit and run claims are only $250 and don't affect my premiums. (USAA is the greatest!!!) So check into that.... you will need to file a police report to make it a hit and run claim.

#12 ·

I'm sorry to see the damage, but I'm glad that you're ok. Fenders are fixable; broken Kim's aren't.
And Mario is right, that can probably be reformed, filled, primed and painted for a few bucks. Or you can just try and find a black Sable fender from a local bone yard and put that on. Bruce will live on!!

Oh yeah. Mario is right about Greg too.

#13 ·
I had a guy in the Camaro cut me off and hit my passenger side panel. I followed the Camaro off the next exit because I though he was going to stop. Instead he took off. I called the CHP to report the accident. About 10 minutes after first CHP show up to take my report, two others showed up with Camaro and the guy that hit me. As soon as the Camaro stopped the guy jumped out started yelling and ran towards me. The CHP yelled at him to stop and he kept coming. I stood my ground and I figured I would have take the first hit. Two officiers jumped him and the guys decided to fight the CHP. After he was subdued he was put in the cruiser for a ride to the station and the tow truck showed up to impound his car. My insurance company returned my deductable and said that they were suing the other driver for the total cost of repairs. I talked with CHP officiers later about what happened to the driver and they said the guy was charged of assaulting a police officer, attempted assault (me), resisting arrest, and vandalism (he damaged some stuff in the cruiser while kicking).

Bob

#15 ·
kim, do u have full coverage on that? because last summer when a guy side swiped my car, and it was way more damage than yours, my whole car was blue on the side and it was really bad, he took off after i pulled over. he pretended like he was gonna stop, but than took off. i couldn't go after him cause the road was so busy and i pulled off to a side street and it was rush hour traffic. but i called the cops at the scene and they came out and did a police report. i didn't get the guys licence plate number or anything, i didn't have my contacts in. but i gave my insurance the police report and they paid for all the damage. i also had a $500 deductible, but since it was a hit and run, i didn't have to pay it. they should cover all of it. call them! and good luck!

#16 ·
kim, do u have full coverage on that? because last summer when a guy side swiped my car, and it was way more damage than yours, my whole car was blue on the side and it was really bad, he took off after i pulled over. he pretended like he was gonna stop, but than took off. i couldn't go after him cause the road was so busy and i pulled off to a side street and it was rush hour traffic. but i called the cops at the scene and they came out and did a police report. i didn't get the guys licence plate number or anything, i didn't have my contacts in. but i gave my insurance the police report and they paid for all the damage. i also had a $500 deductible, but since it was a hit and run, i didn't have to pay it. they should cover all of it. call them! and good luck!

#17 ·
Ouch sorry to hear about that. What about the other accidents though?

Sounds like how my Cavalier met its maker. Some idiot cut off a Civic, clipping the front bumper and sending them into a spin (the road was icy) right over into the left lane where I was driving. The Accord in front of me smashed into the Civic totalling it, I slammed into the Accord ruining the front end of my car, and someone slammed into the back of me destroying my rear bumper. I still drove the Cavalier after that, it was okay, but when your car is valued at $1000, any sort of damage totals it. lol

The guy who cut off the Civic saw what happened and took off. Ironically, it had Michigan plates on it. Someone got his plate numbers, evidently he does not know what the cops up here like to do with foreigners who hit and run in accidents...

There does not appear to be a lot of damage though. Easily fixed.

Oh and I'm sure Greg really appreciates all your comments considering he has yet to attempt any body work on his own car. Very thoughtful of you.

#18 ·
edit - double post, got an error when i posted and didnt realize it was posted.

Why is this server running IIS btw? LOL

G
#19 ·
Originally posted by afi292@Mar 25 2004, 10:54 AM
Sorry bout your car... glad youa re ok!!

want my car as a loaner while yours gets fixed?
don't tease me jesse!!

What about the other accidents though?[/b]
those were much more minor than this one...the one with the like 5 other taurus' involved, *the one that mario's referring to* was just little dings in the front and back bumper that they took a freakin' week to pound out. I still didn't mind driving the GT for a week.
But this accident is an "offical accident" in my eyes..a lot of damage. the pics don't show a lot of it..it's a lot worse in person. <_<

i'm actually on my way to get estimates from the damage..

G
#20 ·
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Mar 25 2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah Sarah i have full coverage....what insurance company do you go through?? Cause i have AAA, and they didn't tell me anything like that, they told me that i have to pay the 500 dollar deductable whether it's my fault or not...but i dunno, maybe i can get something off...

#22 ·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Mar 26 2004, 03:30 PM
Wait, I thought Michigan was a no-fault state anyway?
Technically it is, well unless your insurance attempts to sue the others insurance, you wouldn't be paying then

#24 ·
Originally posted by MySablesNameIsBruce+Mar 26 2004, 09:23 AM-->QUOTE (MySablesNameIsBruce @ Mar 26 2004, 09:23 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver
@Mar 25 2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah Sarah i have full coverage....what insurance company do you go through?? Cause i have AAA, and they didn't tell me anything like that, they told me that i have to pay the 500 dollar deductable whether it's my fault or not...but i dunno, maybe i can get something off... [/b]
ahh man i hate AAA. i had them before and they were charging me like $300 more than my current insurance. i have Farm Bureau.

#25 ·
Glad you are alright.

I called my insurance agent today to put the 99 on and asked her how much she thought my insurance would and she said " I really couldn't say".

Being the professional salesman I am, I knew she meant she didn't want to say.
Anyway I finally got her to tell me and she said probably in the neighborhood of 25 to 30%. I asked about a rebate for all the years I didn't make a claim and it got kind of quiet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.