Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the t-stat on a 3.0. I found that 3whoever did it in the past put a wood screw into the bottom hole. Turns out that tha bolt housing on the engine side is broken and in trying to clean it up a little I find there really isn't much I can do with it. The bolt housing is broken beyond the point where anything will thread into it now. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this or what do I need to replace?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Head over to your local Pull A Part place and pick up a non busted lower intake manifold. There are usually a few there. What I ended up doing on my 87 3.0 was exactly that, plus new intake gaskets.

Based on your post, it sounds like the engine side where the threads are, the metal has fractured apart?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Head over to your local Pull A Part place and pick up a non busted lower intake manifold. There are usually a few there. What I ended up doing on my 87 3.0 was exactly that, plus new intake gaskets.

Based on your post, it sounds like the engine side where the threads are, the metal has fractured apart?
Yes - on the engine side the housing that the bolt would thread into is broken. Not the actual bold. A heli-coil would be useless.;)
So you say lower intake manifold ? This is my first time doing any work on this car and before I start taking everything apart I thought it best to check to make sure I am looking at the right things. I wasn't sure if this would be an intake manifold or if it was directly the block.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yea so you have the fun job of removing the upper intake (cake) and the lower intake (somewhat cake). This will require you to remove the distributor as well. Don't go through the pain and suffering like I did and properly match mark the rotor position as well as the disbutitor position on the block.

I have a whole thread on another site called taurusowners(dot)com For some reason they blocked links to the other site even if you are trying to help members out here. Under there you will see a link for 1987 Ford Taurus 3.0L thermostat housing under engine and drivetrain. It documents what I did for my car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts