Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the transaxle swap I posted about on here a major problem happened when during the installing of the sub frame the right rear sub frame to body nut stripped and let go before it was even close to tight. Thanks mainly to the midwestern rust. Since this is a rather important bolt a method to repair was needed. This nut is in a blind frame mounting and cannot be reached from outside the car. However you can pull back the carpet and drill a hole with a holesaw to access the top of the nut. Since just the threads pulled out of the nut a new nut was added on top of the existing one. Careful selection of where to drill is important so you can access the blind area and also get a wrench to hold the nut. The stock mounting bolt is long enough for the new nut to hold on top of the stripped one. Hole was patched with the plug cut out and metal duct tape that sticks like crazy and waterproof. Figured better leave access to get to the new nut if I want to drop the subframe in the future.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
QUOTE (IT56iowa @ Jun 1 2010, 08:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808347
During the transaxle swap I posted about on here a major problem happened when during the installing of the sub frame the right rear sub frame to body nut stripped and let go before it was even close to tight. Thanks mainly to the midwestern rust. Since this is a rather important bolt a method to repair was needed. This nut is in a blind frame mounting and cannot be reached from outside the car. However you can pull back the carpet and drill a hole with a holesaw to access the top of the nut. Since just the threads pulled out of the nut a new nut was added on top of the existing one. Careful selection of where to drill is important so you can access the blind area and also get a wrench to hold the nut. The stock mounting bolt is long enough for the new nut to hold on top of the stripped one. Hole was patched with the plug cut out and metal duct tape that sticks like crazy and waterproof. Figured better leave access to get to the new nut if I want to drop the subframe in the future.[/b]
Great tip!
Fred FLintstone (king of the hole in the floor) would be proud... ;)

bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts