Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today while doing some repairs to my battery terminals my front passenger spring broke. luckily it didnt pop my tire. as of now we have the strut free from its mounts, and out of the whole brake disk aluminum thing. we took the sway bar link thing off and are just working on getting the bracket for the brake line off. after that i think it will be free.

now, will i have to replace all 4? or just the front 2. what is the best spring compressor to use? tips?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just get a pair of quick struts for the front, unless your struts have less than 60,000 miles or so on them. That way you don't have to be concerned about the spring compressor, nor disassembly and reassembly with potentially worn out struts and top mounts.

Maybe include what car and how many miles are on the car and others may chime in with better ideas.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yes check for the recall. Call your local dealer and give them your VIN.

If you are not covered you have several options.

1. Quickstruts by Munroe. Gabriel and KYB have a similar product. No need to comprss spring and it saves some labor. I have seen several complaints about the Quickstruts on here but I don't have any experience with them so I can't comment.
2. Just replace the spring- You can rent a spring compressor from AZ for free if you get your parts from them. You want to check out the rubber Isolators too and replaced them if they are damaged. The top mount as well.

Most everyone says to change both sides at the same time. You need to consider how bad or worn the other components may be. If the passenger spring failed you may have a drivers side spring ready to fail too. Give it all a good inspection. You can also do one side for now and do the other next week end if the height is significant or the ride stinks.

I once changed only one spring on the passanger side and had no issues in ride or appearance. It all depends on a number of factors. How many miles, how long are you keeping the car etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.