Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when getting new back tires the other day my mechanic showed me the back right bring on my sable. it was off the bottom perch and about 2 inches from the tire!!!! YIKES! so, he wanted to cut it off and i said ok. As im driving up the road i hit a pothole and feel the back end shake a bit then i hear a metal sound followed by what sounded like 1000 wheel bearings going at the same time. The loudest roaring i had ever heard. Thank fully only 3 miles from my house i creeped down the side of the road.

Got back and took the wheel off and found the spring to be deperched again and in the same positiion as before but worse. thank god the brand new tires isnt ruined, it looked like it just melted off a layer of rubber but did not cause any damage.

Anyways, so now im in need of a new spring and i just gotta figure out where the best place to get one single one is..... and my spring on the other side is really saggy so if i buy i new one i think it will be un even.... and i dont have the money to do the whole rear right now (if i did more than one spring i would want new struts too)

anyways, i just think its crazy how back the back springs are on these cars.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I think your mechanic needs to check himself into a rehab center.

Cut off a spring? Yikes!

And, yes, they need to be balanced left to right.

Other than a boneyard, I wouldn't know where to buy 1 spring, except at a dealer, where they magically transform into $pring$.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've got the complete rear suspension from my 03' SES Sport. Struts and springs with 50k miles on them. Make an offer.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i have one worn out saggy spring left from my sable that is not broken yours if you pay shipping

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Yeah, you need a pair of springs, not just one.

I'd do the struts while they're out unless the car is REALLY low mileage.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You do not want to replace one spring. Mine had 3 broken springs.

Not only will the spings be uneven but the other could break at anytime and actually pop your tire. (This is common).

Have another shop check all the springs carefully and change them and the struts if needed.

**Find a new mechanic!

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes the tires ok because i only went a few miles and it was barely touching.

also, the part he cut off was deperched and hanging way down low thats the part that he cut off, and from where it was it looked out, but the first but i hit did the same thing..... so it was useless.

im trying to get money together to get the moog/kyb set that some guy is selling on this forum (sorry dont remember the name off hand)

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (s2knott @ Apr 28 2009, 02:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721340
yes the tires ok because i only went a few miles and it was barely touching.

also, the part he cut off was deperched and hanging way down low thats the part that he cut off, and from where it was it looked out, but the first but i hit did the same thing..... so it was useless.

im trying to get money together to get the moog/kyb set that some guy is selling on this forum (sorry dont remember the name off hand)[/b]
I haven't had much luck with mine, had two bad coil springs go on me. First was the rear, then later one of the front. Both times it ruined the tire. The first time the rear spring put a little groove in the sidewall. I had it replaced under the road hazard warranty. The second time the front spring just totally popped the tire and basically sliced the sidewall open. You didn't mention where the rubber was missing, but if it's in the sidewall, I'd just get it replaced.

You could also consider the Monroe quickstrut, shouldn't take long to install them and you always do them in pairs. I think the rears aren't really that much, about $115 on rockauto.com plus add the 5% off coupon code floating around this site somewhere then add in the $50 rebate for 2 quick struts and it's not a lot of money at all. Of course if you got the fronts for $166, then you'd get a $125 rebate.

Taken from another thread:

http://www.monroe.com/promo/promotions.asp

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I know it's hard to believe but I have a brand new genIII or IV rear spring.

My SIL works at a tire store and the customer had one broken spring. The customer refused to have both of them put on but he still had to buy a set.

You can have it for the price of shipping

Have UPS do a call tag to zip 74145

If the price is right pm me and I will give you the address.

Mike
B)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts