Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before. I was changing my plugs and the number 1 plug broke off, leaving the threaded part in the hole. the porcelain pulled out and the nut part of the plug got stuck in the socket. any idea how to get this out?

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Plug

Hi, just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before. I was changing my plugs and the number 1 plug broke off, leaving the threaded part in the hole. the porcelain pulled out and the nut part of the plug got stuck in the socket. any idea how to get this out?
You will need to pull the head. Anything you do from the outside will drop stuff into the cylinder that will be terminal. If you pull one, you might as well do both and get it all done.

Good luck.
And no, never heard of that.

-chart-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why remove both heads?

"If you pull one, you might as well do both and get it all done."

hey thanks for the info, but i was just wondering why i would do both heads if the other head has no problems? it seems like extra work with no real benifit, but if there is a good reason to do it then i guess now would be the time.
also does anyone know what size torx bit i need to get the lower intake off? i don't seem to have one big enough

·
Registered
183 Posts
You will already have the engine half apart, if you pull one head, you will have to replace the head gasket, so you might as well do both while you already have it apart. I know I would.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
"If you pull one, you might as well do both and get it all done."

hey thanks for the info, but i was just wondering why i would do both heads if the other head has no problems? it seems like extra work with no real benifit, but if there is a good reason to do it then i guess now would be the time.
also does anyone know what size torx bit i need to get the lower intake off? i don't seem to have one big enough
You should go and buy a set of 3/8" torx sockets, they come in handy. $20ish at most stores, for a decent set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, well looks like i have a project for the weekend..
thanks for the info.
are the head gaskets prone to failure on these engines?

"You should go and buy a set of 3/8" torx sockets, they come in handy. $20ish at most stores, for a decent set."
you guys get better deals on tools and parts down south, damn.. but yeah, picked up the cheap set for $35 here

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
ok, well looks like i have a project for the weekend..
thanks for the info.
are the head gaskets prone to failure on these engines?

"You should go and buy a set of 3/8" torx sockets, they come in handy. $20ish at most stores, for a decent set."
you guys get better deals on tools and parts down south, damn.. but yeah, picked up the cheap set for $35 here
I live in Canada.

Canadian Tire has mastercraft sets, they come on sale for like $15. That's for a 15 piece torx/pozi set, then they have a hex set for the same price. Like $40 regular each though. Homedepot has an 11 piece set for $25 (1/4" and 3/8"). Sears has a 9 piece set for $18 (3/8"). Auto parts stores tend to have tool lines as well, they're worth checking out sometimes. I wish canada had harbor freight (at least in my area?), but we do have princess auto and they have a lot of budget line tools.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
harbour freight

I wish we had harbour freight, but i think the nearest one is about a 4 hour drive in Fargo. i got a set at canadian tire, but i should have checked sears i guess.. didnt have time to get to princess auto, but they are the closest thing to harbour freight in canada, and they back up their tools. I have broken tools and they have always been replaced, no questions asked, and they record your purchases so all you need is a phone number, no receipt required.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a spark plug snap on my 98 taurus vulcan and garage was able to remove plug and nothing fell into engine. Car had 120k when i got it and plugs were original so when i went to change them they were rusted in and only 1 snapped thank god

·
Registered
104 Posts
It was front middle spark plug. I had it towed to a place that rebuilds engines and they got it out. Cost me 90$ for them to remove it and none of the broken plug fell into engine thank god. They said once they removed it with some special tool they cranked engine over so if anything fell it it should have blown it out. I know they sprayed stuff into broken spark plug and let it soak in. I am just lucky i didn't have to replace head because they said i might have needed a new head it they couldn't get it out. Person i got the car from never gave it a tuneup at all. At 120k it had orignal spark plugs and wires and even fuel filter was stock. They did change oil every 3k so my oil still looks clean after 3k and car now has 140k on it. And it doesn't use a drop of oil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts