Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car (1999 Taurus LX) is headed to the recycler next week after the transmission (AXOD) went out which was a week after a hit and run in a parking lot. The hit and run was relatively minor but made the decision to crush the car a bit easier since any transmission work would exceed the value of the car now that it's got a damaged rear fender and door.....at least I think it would. I'm trying to balance a full-time job along with getting the hay put up so don't have time to try to find a used transmission or consider opening this one up.

The tranny failure occurred without advance warning....at a stop light it just wouldn't go....no forward or reverse. The shifter works ok and you hear a bit of a change in engine/tranny sound when you move it from park into gear but there just isn't any movement.

I pulled the tranny pan to drain the fluid before calling the crusher. To my surprise, the pan magnet is holding onto a broken section of pipe, about 4" long with a 90 degree bend (attached pic). The transmission fluid line that's broken off comes across the bottom of the transmission above the filter and bends upward. It terminates in an upright position and is capped off.

While this particular car is dead, I'm curious if anyone knows if the broken pipe is the cause of the tranny failure. My thinking is that the pipe broke off and the pump could build no pressure. Might have been a simple fix? But I have no idea why the pipe would break....
The car had 150,000 miles and was driven from Montana to Fairbanks Alaska and back again a few years ago. I've got no complaints about it. It was a state of Montana motorpool car that I bought at auction in 2004. I just bought a 2005 last week from the same outfit. I'll install a extra tranny cooler like I did on the 1999 and hope to get another 100,000 miles out of it.
Any thoughts on the broken pipe and transmission failure?

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any thoughts on the broken pipe and transmission failure?
Man that fluid looks nice and clean. Such a pretty shade of red, like fresh cough syrup.

Shame about the car though, looks like you were trying to treat her good.

Sorry all I could come up with.. :lol2:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Broken line

It just so happens that I have my 2000 AX4S apart. Here is what the line originally looked like. Part of the upgrade kit says to check this area for cracks. Now I know why. Maybe I'll reinforce this area somehow. Thanks for posting the info!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Diagram

Here's the diagram of what happened. If orifice "YY" is large enough, the pressure to the converter "CPY" will be low. The "SF" line will then be low. This line feeds the shift solenoids and EPC. No more transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
So the line breaking would be fatal?
If it was replaced still no trans?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do not want to hijack the thread, but egiroux, where did you find the hydraulic diagram? I tried to find one for my 1995 Taurus AX4N without success (not in the FSM or the ATSG).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So the line breaking would be fatal?
If it was replaced still no trans?
It sounds like it failed catastrophically. There should have been no point that it ran with reduced pressure(no slipping or lack of lubrication). If you did not run it much after it failed, it would probably be fine with a new tube. No guarantees, of course.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I do not want to hijack the thread, but egiroux, where did you find the hydraulic diagram? I tried to find one for my 1995 Taurus AX4N without success (not in the FSM or the ATSG).
That diagram is from the "A"(Theory/Diagnosis) factory manual for the AX4S.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
mtarcher1 bummer about the car, that sucks :\ But wow, nice job getting down, and seeing what the issue was! This will make for great referencing in the future. Good luck with your 2005...hopefully you can get a Gen 2 SHO ATX cooler or the like installed. This time around, you'll have a AX4N. Curious if they have the same line issue....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts