Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was taking out the pinch bolt and had the bolt about half way out. I thought I was in the clear but then the bolt snapped off. The bolt is broke off about a 1/2" in so I don't have any part of the bolt sticking out of the strut. Any solution on the best way to get the rest of this bolt out?

Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
Drill. You can try an easy-out or whatever they're called now. IIRC, the easiest solution is drill the sucker out, and throw an undersized bolt and nut through.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Ran down to home depot and got the biggest screw extractor they had. Drilled out the 19/64" hole and hammered in the extractor. Got the bolt to turn around 1 full revolution and the extractor snapped. Any other suggestions? Any time I try to save a buck on a DIY it backfires on me.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
When mine broke, I drilled them out. Your job is much harder now that the hardened extractor is broke off.

You have a couple of options: Replace the spindles, remove the spindles and take them to a shop to be drilled, or drill them yourself.

If you drill them yourself, you need to step drill the bolts. Make sure the drill bits are sharp, keep them cooled with cutting fluid, and sharpen them often. And make sure you are centered on the bolt. I step drilled them with 3 different sizes. I used a high strength bolt with a steel locknut for the new pinch bolt. It takes awhile, but it was cheaper than new parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Rdh2. I think I got most of the extractor bolt out with an air hammer. I might try to drill the bolt out in the morning and then find a bolt to feed through there. I haven't even messed with the other side of the car yet, hopefully the same thing doesn't happen.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
After drilling it out, replace the pinch bolt with a grade#8 7/16 bolt 2-3ins. long. and a nyloc (plastic insert) locking nut all slathered with never-seize.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Heat the other spindle up before you do the job...make it nice and hot. And make up an acetone/atf 50-50 mix to presoak the bolt threads. That way the bolt comes out easier :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Heat the other spindle up before you do the job...make it nice and hot. And make up an acetone/atf 50-50 mix to presoak the bolt threads. That way the bolt comes out easier :)
this guy

heat is the answer

and if you plan on taking the car apart ever again, then you should get a nut and bolt combo on there for reassembly

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've done I-don't-even-know-how-many sets of rear struts in these cars. I broke one... drill baby drill. The dealer usually stocks the bolts, you're better off using a factory bolt as long as you don't destroy the threads in the knuckle. But now anytime I do those, I torch the hellouta of the bolt and knuckle. Breaker bar and a pipe to get it moving, tighten, loosen, right, left, right, left, more heat then hit with the impact. Never broke another one.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Pinch Bolt

I was taking out the pinch bolt and had the bolt about half way out. I thought I was in the clear but then the bolt snapped off. The bolt is broke off about a 1/2" in so I don't have any part of the bolt sticking out of the strut. Any solution on the best way to get the rest of this bolt out?

Thanks
I put some info in the Genral discussion area with pics today.

For future use if you have to do this again.

Removal of the bolt is best done with an impact gun, running it back and forth, over and over to wear out the rust in the clearance hole. Since the threads on the spindle are not hurt, no issue using a new bolt.

Been there, done that.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Grrr, looks like I will need an impact and compressor if I want to replace those shocks. Are the OE shocks at 174k...

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Impact

Grrr, looks like I will need an impact and compressor if I want to replace those shocks. Are the OE shocks at 174k...
I use electric impact.

Heavy, ugly, OLD. (like me)

Wait, I am not heavy.:p

I drilled out one on a Dodge Intrepid. On that one, was smaller and longer than the Ford Bolt. Real pain, had to drill out from both ends, small drill, then bigger.

-chart-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts