Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post here. I really need some help. I bought a 1991 Taurus SHO as a winter car. Had it for a month and a half now, no issues. Today I put my summer car into storage. Predictably, my SHO promptly broke. At least it had the courtesy to break down 5 minutes from a friends house..

It all started as a minor misfire. Didn't throw a CEL, but it was apparent. Then it almost stalled around a corner (turning right). I figured that's my fault, let out the clutch rough maybe. Left corner, it's fine. I made a right turn, same stall.. But this time shut off, dead. I figured out that what's happening is the plug on the back of the DIS module is coming out. Put it back in.. Right turn, it's back out. What's happening is the DIS is hitting the metal thing to the left of it (sway bar mount I think?). The engine flexes a LOT from side to side when you turn the steering wheel. To the left, it lifts the engine.. To the right, it lowers it and smashes the DIS right up against that thing (sway bar mount? Idk).

Now, here's some more info. Before this, the cars steering felt extremely rough since I bought it. Like it was very hard to turn, almost as if the PS pump was kicking on and off. Now the issue is completely gone, steering is excellent, but I only drove it for 5 minutes today after I ziptied the plug on trying to get it home (didn't work). The alignment was originally awful. Recently, sometimes the alignment is spot on. Sometimes it's way off. The car feels like it's floating, almost like it's hydroplaning even when it's dry out. It also torque steers VIOLENTLY. I have a feeling all of these issues are connected..

So, here's my question. What are common issues on these cars? I'm thinking it's a motor mount or a broken subframe or maybe a broken bolt on the subframe? I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Subframe bushings are shot. Get the upgraded rear bushings and install at all four corners. Better is to get aluminum bushings if you're keeping the car.

Also check front and rear motor mounts, they are known to rip apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I went out and looked under the car to look at the bushings. The rears are definately new-ish. The bolts look brand new. However, when inspecting the front right away I noticed the front passenger side looked low.. Sure enough, the entire subframe is hanging down about 2-3 inches. What's worse is the hole that the bolt goes in to looks like it's a bit rotted out. I can spin the bolt by hand. What should I do? Is there even a way to fix this? I'll put some pics up later on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I searched and found plenty of repair info, but nothing on what to do if the hole is rotted. I can't find any with pics either, so idk if that hole is even all that important (is there a nut on the other side the bolt threads into or something?).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thank you. I went out and looked under the car to look at the bushings. The rears are definately new-ish. The bolts look brand new. However, when inspecting the front right away I noticed the front passenger side looked low.. Sure enough, the entire subframe is hanging down about 2-3 inches. What's worse is the hole that the bolt goes in to looks like it's a bit rotted out. I can spin the bolt by hand. What should I do? Is there even a way to fix this? I'll put some pics up later on.

Thanks.
The pics will be helpful, it's hard to know exactly what you're describing right now. In any event if rust truly is the problem it would involve welding new metal in. Be prepared for a worst case scenario, ie. hving to part ways with the car. Rust is usually much worse than it first appears.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, went out and got some pics this morning. I'm still really confused about where this bolt threads. Is it supposed to thread in the hole thats now rusted out? I don't understand how that could be. I mean this hole didn't rust that much in the month I owned it, it's obviously been rusting for years to get to that point so it couldn't possibly have threaded there, because if it did thread there it would have broken free years ago... right? Is the hole just there so the bolt can pass through it and thread in something up higher? So hard to find info on these cars. Thanks for your help with this though, I really appreciate it. If only my last winter car had this sort of community (1988DodgeDiplomatClub.net?):lol2:

That would reallly suck if I had to scrap this thing over such a seemingly small amount of rust. The undercarriage isn't all that bad for a 170k mile car and the body has almost zero rust.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Looks like the nut plate came loose awhile ago and the bolt just augured-out the hole over time. You'll probably have to weld the new one from the recall kit in.

For a winter car though, you certainly like to run with a light tread!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I'll go pick up a recall kit tommarow. Thank you for your help. I can't seem to find any info on installing the recall kit though, does it come with instructions? I know, probobly a dumb question, but I'm trying to make sure I'm prepared to get this all done in a single day.

Yeah I know treads not the greatest. I don't want to mount my snow tires yet though. Made that mistake once.. Ugh. Anyways though, as for welding, has this ever been done before? I wanted to try and keep it cheap but.. If I gotta do it I guess there's no choice.. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.