Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering how hard it is to install a keyless entry system on a 1995 gl bull? The reason why I was thinking about a keyless entry system becuase my key broke inside the driver side door, because the lock was malfunctioning, so I went to my local ford dealer to see how much it would cost to replace just that lock, well the guy told me I would have to replace all the locks and two doors and the ignition, think its about 120, for the parts not including labor. I'm bout to go back to school so I'm trying to save a lil money so I was thinking it would be cheaper to get a cheap keyless entry system off of e-bay and install it to get around not always opening my passenger door to get into my car. Would like to hear what u guys think. I have a spare key so thats not a problem at the moment

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
so you broke the key off INSIDE the lock? damn, that sucks. I would first try and call a locksmith to see if they could get it out. Its gotta be cheaper than having all the locks replaced from a dealer.

-Damon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think so, the lock is malfunctioning anyway and the key is broken in it, I would think it would be cheaper to just get a keyless entry, becuase we called a lock smith the other day becuase we lock one of ours keys in our other car and the cost was almost 100 if not that, so I think keyless would be better

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Wow, your lock cylinders are expensive these days. In the old days you could buy a lock cylinder for around $10, but according to the Ford parts sites, they're about $70 each. What you would do is just have an extra key that would open the driver's door and keep the old key for the passenger and ignition. Or take the new lock cylinder to a locksmith and have him key it so that it uses the same key. Not sure if you could do the same thing with a lock cylinder from a junkyard.

Of course if you have power locks, a keyless entry system might be easier way to go. Also nice because if you use the remote all the time to lock the car doors, you never lock yourself out of the car. Only time when a key comes in handy is when the locks are frozen and the remote doesn't unlock them. Then you can use the key to kinda try and force it open. Course maybe that's how you wound up with the broken key...

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
You could always get the Valiant (sp) keyless system from JCWhitney.com. They sell for about 40 bucks and are a breeze to install. Sometimes they are on sale for 29.99

·
Registered
901 Posts
my brother got generic lock actuators for $5 each and used speaker wire to install them. I would recomend going to somewhere like sams club and buying a bulldog remote start with keyless entry for about $50 and the get the actuatores and wire for the locks? All said and done, you could have a remote start and keyless entry for all four doors for under a hundred dollars and about 10 hours of work on your part! Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey guys I was wondering how hard it is to install a keyless entry system on a 1995 gl bull?
Very very hard from my experience.
Ask or PM BabySho, he's done tons of electrical mods to his car and gives pretty good and accurate advice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have to say that installing key less one my car was not that hard. I already had power locks so when I installed my remote start, the bull dog unit had keyless built into it. If I remember right I only needed to tap into 4 wires going into my driver that controlled the locks. If you have a relay unit that you purchase it should not be that hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts