Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered alot, but the front drivers side spring broke on my son's 01 today.
His car is less than 10 years old and has 65,000 miles so I presume it will be covered by Ford.

Keep in mind we had to pay for a broken rear spring 2 years ago on this same car.

Only about 1 inch of height of the spring broke off from bottom and it does have the spring shield.

My big question:
My son is working 7 days a week.
Is it safe to drive it this way for a week or two until we can get it in for the repair??

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Maybe some of the people who have driven cars w/broken springs can comment, but I would be concerned about the spring twisting and possibly fracturing in another place, possibly coming in contact with the tire some how...even with the spring shield in place.Doesn't sound very safe to me...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2000 that underwent the spring recall and had the front right spring break. I drove mine several weeks w/ the broken spring. Didn't have any problems other than the fact that it was noisier. Would recommend you get fixed ASAP though.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I've been driving on broken rears for a while now. It just makes funny noises when flexing and handles kinda funky.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I'll chime in... I lost a front spring on my '02, parked in the garage over a sub-zero winter night in March '08 at about 65-75K, so I'd say you got lucky. :) The broken end plunged straight through my tire as well. For you, IF the remaining spring appears to be seated well on the strut assembly, you can probably get away with driving it a little while longer.

But, eventually, that side will break again, and the spring on the other side *will* break at a point, too.

Ultimately, you need to get this fixed. Firstly, your ride height is going to be incorrect and lop-sided, which may cause handling issues and may cause uneven tire wear, which you'll pay for in a premature tire purchase.

IMO you want to get new springs AND struts while you're at it if you're going to keep the car for any significant more time. If you have a shop do it the book labor should be virtually if not exactly identical whether you get new struts or only springs, and it's not cheap (book is ~3.4 hours, for around $275-$300 in labor). You may also wish to have an alignment done after new parts are installed--the Ford garage did mine for free when they chaged the springs, just FYI.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised about your rear springs either. Both rears in my '02 went within a couple months of each other, roughly 2 years after the front one broke.

This won't be covered by Ford unless the recall covers yours or you're a hell of a talker. I do believe the recall covers up to '01, but I'm not sure whether you'll get new springs out of it or just some sort of guard to protect your tires in case your current springs break.

Good luck.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've seen it plenty of times; the spring is broken, the strut extends from bumps, the spring takes out the tire. As long as you're under 10 years/150,000miles the labor and springs will be freebies. I'd pay the extra for struts and strut mounts, the spring being broken wears the struts prematurely, and being almost ten years old, they're probably worn anyway. the mounts are rubber, it goes bad.

Recall ReasonSUSPENSION:FRONT:SPRINGS:COIL SPRINGSRecall DateJUL 15, 2004Model AffectedTAURUSPotential Units Affected899060
Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS COULD FRACTURE DUE TO CORROSION ASSOCIATED WITH SALT USED ON THE ROADWAYS DURING THE WINTER. A FRACTURED SPRING COULD MOVE PAST THE SPRING SEAT AND CONTACT A FRONT TIRE.

Consequence
IF THIS OCCURS, THE TIRE MAY RUPTURE RESULTING IN A RAPID AIR LOSS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL PROTECTIVE SPRING SHIELDS. IN ADDITION, FORD IS EXTENDING THE WARRANTY COVERAGE OF THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS IN ALL OTHER STATES, FOR FRACTURE ONLY, UP TO 10 YEARS OF SERVICE OR 150,000 MILES, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST. IF THE VEHICLE HAS ALREADY ACCUMULATED MORE THAN 150,000 MILES, THIS COVERAGE WILL LAST UNTIL JULY 31, 2005. IF EITHER FRONT COIL SPRING FRACTURES, DEALERS WILL REPLACE BOTH FRONT SPRINGS AT NO CHARGE TO THE OWNER. AN INTERIM NOTICE WAS SENT TO OWNERS ON AUGUST 2, 2004. PARTS ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE 2000-2001 MY VEHICLES AND OWNERS WERE SENT A LETTER ON JANUARY 10, 2005, ADVISING THEM TO BRING IN THEIR VEHICLES FOR REPAIR PARTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AVAILABLE FOR THE 1999 MY VEHICLES BY THE END OF FEBRUARY 2005 AND OWNERS OF THESE VEHICLES WILL BE NOTIFIED THEN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Notes
FORD MOTOR COMPANY 04S17

·
Registered
562 Posts
Had a front drivers side spring break on my 2000 SE while going around a low speed corner and luckily it didn't cut the tire. I drove it 30 miles home and crawled underneath to see what was wrong. I called the local dealer and they sent out a tow truck that night to pick it up under the recall. It was ready for pickup the next day with both front springs replaced and shields put in but they left the struts. Now about 50K miles later I've got a broken rear spring but it broke almost a complete coil so it sits right in the original slot of the strut and shouldn't (knocking on wooden desk....)hurt anything until I get it replaced this weekend. Been driving it that way for a month or two now but I know it's a risk that it could break again before I get it changed with not as nice of outcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts