Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont really know much about engines. But I know enough to know something is wrong.

Anyways, I was driving home from school earlier today and I was stuck behind a slow ass. So I punch the throttle to shoot around them(vulcan powa FTW!).. Problem is, the damn car wouldn't move.

With the pedal to the metal. The engine was reving at only about 3100-3500rpm, and wouldn't accelerate. It was making a bad noise too. The sound it made reminds me of using an airblower attachment for an aircompressor.

Did this most of the way home. It eventually stopped, regained all of my engine power. I then had a new noise with kinda sounded like a grunting noise. Check engine light came on shortly after.

So anyways. I took into a shop I always go to for repairs. Owner checked out the engine light and came up with trouble code P1405. He got that fixed. Said the plug on the sensor came undone.

To make a long story short. He said that it sounds to him that my cats are going bad. He said a chunk likely broke off and clogged my exhaust causing my loss of power.

How expensive would it be to get new cats or whatever I will need. I guess I need to go to a muffler shop to get this fixed ya?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Ya, it sounds like bad cats. You can pick up a y-pipe from a wrecker and install it yourself if you're ambitious enough. Any shop should be able to do that. Or you could have the cats cut out and new ones welded in. There are high-flow y-pipes available from one of the guys on here, but his name eludes me at the moment.. i'm sure someone will chime in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts