Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing the sway bar brackets off my 00 Taurus and broke the heads off both bolts. There is no thread sticking out of the hole to grab on to and I tried drilling a hole in the bolt and use easy outs, but have never had any luck with them anyway. I just removed the sway bar and have been driving without it. Anyone have any suggestions for getting them out or if there are any good broken bolt remover products out there?

·
Registered
205 Posts
QUOTE (taurus708 @ Jun 13 2009, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732071
I was removing the sway bar brackets off my 00 Taurus and broke the heads off both bolts. There is no thread sticking out of the hole to grab on to and I tried drilling a hole in the bolt and use easy outs, but have never had any luck with them anyway. I just removed the sway bar and have been driving without it. Anyone have any suggestions for getting them out or if there are any good broken bolt remover products out there?[/b]
Is the backside of the mount accessible? I'm thinking that if you just drilled holes through the bolts that are stuck, you could run a smaller bolt through and use a nut on the backside.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you or a friend has a welder either put some tacks on the broken bolt that you can attach vise grips to, or weld a nut onto the broken bolt and then you will hopefully be able to carefully take it out.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Well if you busted the heads off the bolt then tacking a nut on there isn't going to work.

Drill and tap.

·
Registered
797 Posts
QUOTE (imafordboi69 @ Jun 14 2009, 09:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732284
QUOTE (taurus708 @ Jun 13 2009, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732071
I was removing the sway bar brackets off my 00 Taurus and broke the heads off both bolts. There is no thread sticking out of the hole to grab on to and I tried drilling a hole in the bolt and use easy outs, but have never had any luck with them anyway. I just removed the sway bar and have been driving without it. Anyone have any suggestions for getting them out or if there are any good broken bolt remover products out there?[/b]
Is the backside of the mount accessible? I'm thinking that if you just drilled holes through the bolts that are stuck, you could run a smaller bolt through and use a nut on the backside.
[/b][/quote]

Can you drill thru and tap a thread for the next size up screw? if it is a M10 you could go with a 7/16 english so that your don't go too large.

Sounds like a tough one. good luck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just looked up the tap drill. The tap drill for a 7/16-20 screw is .391. It should work fine if you drill with an M-10 as your last drill used, which is 394.

If you go up to an M12-1.75 the tap drill is .404(10.25mm).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts