Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Viper remote start/keyless entry system in my car, and the system has a blue LED that's used for programming and it flashes while the system is "armed" (when my doors are locked). I mounted the light on my Schosche install face (next to the red LED if anyone remembers pics of my ash tray switch panel). Now when I lock the doors at night, the light is REALLY bright, and it blinks every second. I think that it's just too bright, and that it would draw more attention to the car than I'd want since I'm not usually around it when the doors are locked. I can't move the light from where it is now or I'd just have a big hole above the CD player, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do to make the light appear a little dimmer. I wondered if I could put a resistor in the LED's power line, but I don't know enough about LED's to know if that would dim the bulb or just make it not light at all. Thanks to anyone that can give me some tips.

·
Registered
933 Posts
they aren't quite designed for it like a regualar bulb is, but it works. just apply ohms law to it v=ir. where v is the voltage drop across the resistor, i is the current through the circuit (determined by the LED, probably around 20 mA) and r is the resistor value in ohms. best way to work it out is to get a variable resistor so you can turn the knob until you get the brightness that you want, then find a resister that is as close to that value as you can get. and solder that inline with the LED. does that make any sence to you? let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it does make sense. I had to put a resistor on the other LED that I have on my dash because without it, the LED would blow up (literally). That LED though, wasn't designed for 12v systems, and I wondered if I could add any more resistance to an LED that's already designed for a 12v system. Could I get one of those variable resistors at Radio Shack?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also you could simply swap out the LED... Your local car alarm/stereo shop should have quite a selection. There are two types: one has a focused beam and is REALLY bright (this is probably what you have). The other is a less bright (and cheaper) LED that is non-directional. Good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by BigRyan@Oct 16 2004, 12:55 PM
Also you could simply swap out the LED... Your local car alarm/stereo shop should have quite a selection. There are two types: one has a focused beam and is REALLY bright (this is probably what you have). The other is a less bright (and cheaper) LED that is non-directional. Good luck!
Is there anywhere online I could buy these LED's? The closest thing I have to a "stereo shop" around here is Radio Shack.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Sharpie marker sounds like a good (and cheap) fix to me. If its as bright as you say I'm sure a coat of blue marker on it will dim it but not completely darken it.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I got my car LEDS at radio shack they should ahve them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
coloring the bulbs with a sharpie works okay, but it tends to fade and you ahve to keep recoloring them. much better to switch over to actual LED bulbs. for car bulbs I highly recommend www.superbrightleds.com they have actual plug in replacements for almost all automotive bulbs. to replace a single LED alone, like in the headlight switch or in the window controls, you need just standard 5 or 3 mm LEDs with leads you can solder to. Radio shack is the best place to get them although they are a bit pricy. they can be found online for good prices, but only in large quanities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts