Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered these tires on Tirerack.com on Sunday for the SHO, since my Pirelli's were more accurately defined as racing slicks. Driving in the rain was runing a lot of good, good pairs of underwear, :blink: and it had to stop. Besides, $294.90 shipped to your door is pretty damn good! :eek:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_potenza_g009_1000.jpg' alt='' width='1000' height='1240' class='attach' />[/url]

UPS says that they're in transit, so when they're in and on, I'll post more. :)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Are those the Low Profiles? Just wondering ... :headscratch:

Frank

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the stock size of 215/60 R16, but they're available in everything down to 45 I think.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Nice. :coolgleam:

I Just put Kumho Escta Supra 712's on the front of the SHO. Only put about 40 miles on them before the tensioner went, but they are stickier 'n shat. Took a winding off-ramp waaaaaaay over the posted limit with them.

Oddly enough, my Pirellis were best classified as slicks too. Smalll world, Hamal. :D More to come when I get an alignment.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_712.jpg' alt='' width='250' height='250' class='attach' />[/url]

[quote][b]The Kumho ECSTA (x' ta) Supra 712 is the newest member of Kumho's "summer" performance tire family. Developed to meet the demands of drivers who require ultra high performance handling and traction, the ECSTA Supra 712 offers a unique combination by blending value-oriented pricing with European design and styling.

On the outside, the ECSTA Supra 712 molds Kumho's advanced silica tread rubber compound into a wide directional tread pattern to provide dry traction and handling. Its angular tread blocks are separated by high angle lateral grooves and a large circumferential center groove to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction by evacuating water from between the tire's contact patch and the road (earning the highest "AA" UTQG Traction Rating). Internally, the ECSTA Supra 712's twin steel belts are reinforced with two nylon cap plies to provide high speed durability while delivering responsive handling and stable cornering. Finally, a new casing profile reinforced with a polyester cord body enhances ride comfort.

Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 tires feature black letter styling and are available in 55-, 50-, 45-, 40- and 35-series; H-, V- and Z-speed rated sizes for 14" to 18" wheel diameters.[/b][/quote]

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 1 -
Holy **** these things are responsive! Not at all what I expected from an entry level HP tire! Starting and stopping felt extremely surefooted, and are extremely predictable in cornering. On a roll, these things are balanced perfectly! No shimmy or shake from 0 - 100MPH and back down. They're as smooth at 100MPH as they are at 55MPH; truly amazing!
They are still new, so pushing them to any sort of extreme while still oily is a definite no-no :unsure: , and will be saved for the 500 mile update, and the track if at all possible. :) My driving record looks like **** as it is, so a 145MPH run is most likely out of the question... <_<

I love how the tread design looks on the SHO :banana:, and so far these tires are impressive. :)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
You should see my current Mustang tires. I can drag my fingernail across the entire tread and not catch anything. :D

And those are nice lookin Hamal. B)

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
902 Posts
people who drive there car with tires like that should be put against the wall and shot your putting your life and other peoples in serious jeopardy,tires and brakes are the no 1 safety item

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by mufflerman@Sep 15 2004, 08:36 AM
people who drive there car with tires like that should be put against the wall and shot your putting your life and other peoples in serious jeopardy,tires and brakes are the no 1 safety item
Which is why I bought new ones, Al. :huh: And remember... no one likes an e-thug. <_<

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Thats nothing. My brother drove his SHO until the tire blew out. The steel belts were poking through for at least a couple weeks. When you're dead broke you do what you gotta do. :blink:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 8valvefury@Sep 15 2004, 09:24 PM
Let's see some pictures of them on the car Hammie ;)
I tried, but the car kept rolling away from me when I got out to take the picture. That, and the other cars kept honking at me. :blink:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Day 2 - Rain Performance
What? It was raining? :eek:
Yes, they're that good in the rain. :) We just had a moderately heavy downpour in the NYC area, so I took her out for a spin to see how the tires handle in the wet. Hydroplaning resistance is almost on par with a dedicated rain tire at 60MPH in moderate to heavy ponding on the Bronx River Parkway (if you knew the area, you'd know that's the appropriate place for testing wet performance, for obvious reasons :blink: ).
Cornering again was admirable, with any loss of grip easily predictable and controllable, since the threshold where you lose traction is very broad. Lane changes elicited a sense of confidence, even when encountering minor ponding mid change.
Acceleration was on point, with wheel slippage only occuring when induced. Braking was even more impressive. When combined with my 12 year old ABS system (the pinnacle of ABS technology, I **** you not! :lol: ), emergency stopping was immediate and very undramatic, which is always a good thing. It was also good for the ******* who ran the light when I got to try out emergency stopping. :angry:
I'm still smilin'... love them so far. :thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thats a nice tire I am going with the michelin pilot xgt h4 tires here next month.The tires i am buying.
I am michelin man.I used to have goodyears on my old car and those only lasted a year and were real noisy from day one.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Sounds like some good tires, Hamal! Happy you made the right choice?

In January or so I'm going to try and get new tires (holy crap, this car hasn't had brand new tires since it was stock! Only used tires to get me from A to B [Thanks Damon, who let me get a set of Firestones ;)])

Looks like I gotta look around and see what pretty tires are out there ;)

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3 Months -
Tires are definitely wearing well, though that's mostly due to my worn clutch that I had until last week. :lol:

I got to drive in a light snow recently, and I have to say that I was impressed. The conditions were more icy than anything, and they still performed well for a performance tire. Starting was difficult sometimes (220HP and 1st gear? Not teh win. :( ), but turning and stopping were impressive, which I feel are the two more important things. Call me crazy... :unsure:

Sidewalls are definitely a little soft though. Cornering is predictable and controlled, but quick lane changes can cause some oscillation that if not careful can cause some rear end play.

*edit* ^^^^^ was caused by worn suspension components. HT

Overall, I'm impressed. Bridgestone definitely did a great job with these tires. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Bob Gervais+Dec 31 2004, 01:49 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bob Gervais @ Dec 31 2004, 01:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Racer X@Dec 30 2004, 11:46 AM
oscillation that if not careful can cause some rear end play.
The car's right? :ph34r: :D [/b][/quote]
Uh, yeah. That too. :ph34r:

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@Sep 15 2004, 09:29 PM
Day 2 - Rain Performance
What? It was raining? :eek:
Yes, they're that good in the rain. :) We just had a moderately heavy downpour in the NYC area, so I took her out for a spin to see how the tires handle in the wet. Hydroplaning resistance is almost on par with a dedicated rain tire at 60MPH in moderate to heavy ponding on the Bronx River Parkway (if you knew the area, you'd know that's the appropriate place for testing wet performance, for obvious reasons :blink: ).
Cornering again was admirable, with any loss of grip easily predictable and controllable, since the threshold where you lose traction is very broad. Lane changes elicited a sense of confidence, even when encountering minor ponding mid change.
Acceleration was on point, with wheel slippage only occuring when induced. Braking was even more impressive. When combined with my 12 year old ABS system (the pinnacle of ABS technology, I **** you not! :lol: ), emergency stopping was immediate and very undramatic, which is always a good thing. It was also good for the ******* who ran the light when I got to try out emergency stopping. :angry:
I'm still smilin'... love them so far. :thumb:
Damn X ,

Are you on these guys payroll? :lol2:

Mike
B)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Racer X,
Read your 2004 posts, and am interested in getting 'stickier' tires for my E250, at least for the front end, for rain in all seasons, and light snow, and CITY driving on similar terrain as you describe. Washington, DC can be a challenge, with hills, sometimes old trolley tracks and cobblestones, as well as traffic circles, etc.
Running Wranglers on front, that have less than 1/4" tread today, and 'new last Winter' Extra Grip snow radials on the rear (rear wheel drive van). Also have 94 Taurus wagon, which is why I am on this site. The wagon could use some new treads for winter as well.
Let me know how you fared after some miles, please. Would you buy them again? For $294 each in 2004 did the tire come to you balanced, and on the rim, or just a tire to be mounted and balanced on your rims?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts