Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to look into ordering parts to fix the bull (at least till I decide what I am going to do more info)

Is there any companies/brands I should avoid for the following parts:

Wheel Hubs
Inner and outer tie rods
Ball joints
Lower control arms (or the bushings for them, haven't decided)
Endlinks

So far I know the Monroe quick-struts are up in the air according to some of the threads due to bad manufacturing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Duralast battery is pretty good. MY last one lasted 3 years.

Yes, for bearings/hub, go for TIMKEN, they are very high quality and built like a tank. you won't be disappointed. I currently sport all 4 corners TIMKEN hub.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you order Moog suspension parts, be sure to see them before you lay your cash down. I ordered two Moog rear strut mounts for my 'tec recently. One strut mount was made in India and was utter and complete garbage. I returned it. The other Moog strut mount was made in Taiwan and was high quality. I replaced the Indian strut mount with a Monroe unit also made in Taiwan.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agreed! I dunno why some people regard taiwanese made aftermarket auto parts as subpar, I've used quite a bit of made in taiwan aftermarket parts with great success.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
QUOTE (zorrex @ May 22 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806132
Avoid Dorman. I am displeased with their LCAs I got for my Contour.[/b]
Agreed. How long did the ball joint boots last on yours? After installing a set in my '97 Contour, they went 3000 miles and didn't last a year before they had dry rotted and fell apart.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Moog or Ingalls endlinks, all the way.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (spridget @ May 23 2010, 02:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806226
QUOTE (zorrex @ May 22 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806132
Avoid Dorman. I am displeased with their LCAs I got for my Contour.[/b]
Agreed. How long did the ball joint boots last on yours? After installing a set in my '97 Contour, they went 3000 miles and didn't last a year before they had dry rotted and fell apart.
[/b][/quote]

About 5k miles. I limped it along to 15 or 20k miles before I replaced them with Duralasts (warranty + bolt in = many free parts and easy replacement). I would say avoid Duralast, but being able to stroll into Autozone and get a free replacement if yours fails is a pretty dang good deal...

·
Registered
179 Posts
QUOTE (zorrex @ May 25 2010, 12:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806714
I would say avoid Duralast, but being able to stroll into Autozone and get a free replacement if yours fails is a pretty dang good deal...[/b]
autozone is the devil... i go in there looking for a part or advice and they look at me like i just shot their moms... i goto o'riely's and ask the same thing and get a thousand answers...

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (Little Blue V6 @ May 27 2010, 02:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807232
I would say avoid Duralast, but being able to stroll into Autozone and get a free replacement if yours fails is a pretty dang good deal...[/b]
autozone is the devil... i go in there looking for a part or advice and they look at me like i just shot their moms... i goto o'riely's and ask the same thing and get a thousand answers...
[/b][/quote]
If O'Reilly's existed here in New England, I'd stroll in there for sure, but I have had no issues with Autozone.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (VashThestanbeto @ May 22 2010, 06:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806158

Yes, for bearings/hub, go for TIMKEN, they are very high quality and built like a tank. you won't be disappointed. I currently sport all 4 corners TIMKEN hub.[/b]
El crapo wal-mart batteries last 3 years...my interstate battery on the Escape is 6 years old.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Jeremiah @ May 27 2010, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807282
QUOTE (VashThestanbeto @ May 22 2010, 06:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806158

Yes, for bearings/hub, go for TIMKEN, they are very high quality and built like a tank. you won't be disappointed. I currently sport all 4 corners TIMKEN hub.[/b]
El crapo wal-mart batteries last 3 years...my interstate battery on the Escape is 6 years old.
[/b][/quote]

My buddy's interstate lasted 1. :rolleyes2:

My Jeep's Walmart one lasted 5 years, when it died at 1 AM. I got a new gold top from wal-mart FREE. Whereas my friend's truck had a duralast battery and it died at midnight a few weeks before mine and he had to wait till morning to get a new one.

I ran a Carquest cheapie for 5 years in the Taurus running strong.

I personally think the value of a wal-mart battery is much greater than all the others unless they have a 24 hour service too.

Anywho.. how did this thread on suspension and brake brands to avoid went to batteries?

·
Registered
797 Posts
QUOTE (zorrex @ May 27 2010, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807268
QUOTE (Little Blue V6 @ May 27 2010, 02:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807232
[/b][/quote]
If O'Reilly's existed here in New England, I'd stroll in there for sure, but I have had no issues with Autozone.
[/b][/quote]

The quality of service at Autozone and the other national chains vary so much from store to store. Some are run terribly and hire morons and some are pretty good.

As far as the parts goes it varies. I would be cautious of anything made in China or India.

·
Registered
797 Posts
QUOTE (SHO Continental @ May 22 2010, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806088
Here are some to get, Moog, Ingalls, and Timken.[/b]

I prefer National bearings over Timken. They are a little bit more in money but I believe the quality is better.

The National bearingl I bought for my Sable was make in Korea. I believe the Timken's are now made in China.

I know you did not ask about springs but I will add that i bought some Moog springs last year and the painted coating was terrible. They rusted completely in a less than a year.
If you go on their website they say they use some kind on wonderful paint. It looks like a cheap paint job and Made in USA, unfortunately in this case.
I realize that 99% of the population will never notice such a thing. But I think most people on this board will.
If you get Moog springs. Paint them before you install them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts