Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if it is unheard of for the brand of gas you put in your car to cause an O2 Sensor to run lean. I ask because my 2005 Taurus had this code and a few other related codes a couple of months ago. Using some of the advice on here I replaced the vacuum "O" ring and flushed out my fuel system using Chevron gas treatment and also C-foam. After a couple of times the lean code appeared to have corrected itself. Since then I was only putting chevron gas in my car. Well yesterday my car was about 30 miles to "E" and the only gas station I could find was Circle "K". So I filled up and went on my way. Car sits for about 5-6 hours and then I drive home, and after about 10 min my check engine light comes on. I run the codes and the lean code is back...after a month of being off. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, before I go and start testing and replacing 02 sensors.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
More than likely it's a genuine vacuum leak somewhere, not the gas or O2 sensors.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^ +1

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
When you say you replaced the o-ring, was it the intake air control valve gasket? It's the round looking thing on the back pass side of the UIM with 2 wires going into it, held in place with hex screws. This part is well known to leak after the car is 3+ years old. You could also need to replace a o2 sensor or two, so you should get out the multimeter and test them. Cheap gas is not good, as it dosen't contain as much cleaning additives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts