Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my brakes (non ABS) over the summer, new drums and rotors and hardware.
I STILL have a problem at moderate to heavy braking. Feels like the car is gonna come apart. Like a severely warped drum or rotor. Semms like it may be coing from the rear. I also have a clunking noise on right rear when i hit a bump. possible broken strut? I NEED A CLUE.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For the braking issue: does the steering wheel shake while braking?

Rear clunk: check your rear sway bar links, very common on these cars. You might want to also check if your springs(just check all 4, again very common :ford: ) are broken.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Brake vibrations are more common from the front end. As 94clit asked, does the steering wheel shake when you brake? If so, it's definitely in the front end. If not, try applying the parking brake so that only the rear brakes are applying, and see if the car shakes. If it does, then the rears are the problem. If it doesn't, then it's in the front.

Also as he said, check your endlinks and springs. Bad struts can make a clunk noise over bumps, and worn upper strut mounts can too, but the only way to check those is to remove the strut and take the mount off. It's probably a bad endlink - fairly common.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The steering wheel doesnt shake. it feels like its coming from rear.
i had this problem even before i did a full brake job.
thanks for the tips. since its snowing here i will have it put on a rack and checked or live with it for a while.
LOL dont think i will be doing too much hard braking on an icy road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts