Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just found that my ford taurus 2002 SE braking lights is on even I release the braking pedal, sometimes it is on even the engine is off, sometimes it is fine. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Its probably the brake sensor. Mine went bad at 65k. It's like a $20 part from the dealership. Be careful, mine killed my battery because the lights were on for 2 days straight without me knowing.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
take it to the dealer,that should be a recall , brake switch and harness. i have a 2000 taurus se and i had the same problem. my friend has a 2001 and had the same problem,so most likely it happened that year too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Stever,

I called the ford dealer, and was told there is no recall on braking lights regarding my ford taurus 2002 SE. Any other suggestion? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like the BOO switch craped out, I believe there is a recall on the 2000-2001 models.

Yes, I will kill your battery if you don't notice it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i guarantee its the brake switch or the harness. i had the same exact problem. i bet if u tap the brakes when the lights are stuck on it turns them off. if was the switch there would have been a recall that they would have to tell you about. but if its harness, there wasnt a recall but they knew it could possibly crap out on ya,thats what they told me,then tried to charge me $130 for the harness. is your car under warranty? make them check it out.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
My brake light came on whenever I braked hard (pitched forward) when it was cold. Turned out I was low on fluid...maybe you're low, too?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Jan 26 2004, 02:34 PM
My brake light came on whenever I braked hard (pitched forward) when it was cold. Turned out I was low on fluid...maybe you're low, too?
Same exact thing with my 97 GL, brake lights were on without me even being near the brake (literally was in the house, hehe) and then the (E)(!) BRAKE light came on, would stay on.... Checked the level, almost bone dry! Filled it up, didnt have a problem since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

I bought a brake light switch from ford leader, it is easy to replace(3 minutes). The brake lights problem is solved since. Thanks for everybody's input.

J

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear the problem was solved.
How many miles are on your car, because if it's less than 36,000 then it is under warranty and you wouldn't have had to do any of the work or pay for anything yourself. If it's under warranty, I would ask the dealership for reimbursement for the part(s) you purchased.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Told you it would work
, Ford BOO (Brake on/off) switches are notorious for going bad.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I can tell you easily why mine crapped out. It looks as if the contacts got stuck on the inside and melted the plastic. This caused the contact to not touch correctly and the sensor did not function correctly. If you still have the old sensor take it apart and look at how extremely poor quality a part it is. For being so importnat they sure as hell made it as cheap as possible. I was having to manually push on the sensor while pulling on the shifter to get it into gear. I actually took mine apart and tried to get it to work, but too much plastic was melted for it to operate smoothly.

Glad the easy & cheap fix was the cure. And btw guys, he's not talking about the e-brake light that comes on, he is talking about the actual brake lights in the taillights.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
thats funny, the recall on the 2000-2001 still exists on the newer models, lol.
i wonder if your fuel pump will go next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts