Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed that while driving the firmness of my pedal is constantly changing. when i first start up the car my there is little resistance in the pedal. as i travel down the road the pedal become more firm, and there are some instances where it becomes soft again while i'm driving. I'm not leaking any brake fluid, and i've bleed my brakes 4 times, just to make sure that there wasn't any air in the lines, i've also had my mechanic friend cycle the ABS module for me to remove and residual air that may have been trapped in there and yet the ending results are the same. my pedals firmness still fluctuates. To me it sounds like my master cylinder is the problem. just figured i would throw this out to oyu guys and get some feedback as to what the problem may be.

My other questions is that, if it is the mastercylinder, would it be something that an intermediate mechanic such as my self paired with a Haynes be able to fix it? or am i just going to have to suck it up and leave it to a professional?

·
Registered
341 Posts
if you know how to bleed brakes, then replacing the master cylinder should be cake. sounds like the booster seal is going out, or leaking.

if you're not leaking fluid and there's nothing wrong with the ABS, then my first guess would be master cylinder.

good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts