Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the wrong section last week, sorry about that. My son's 1999 with Duratec front brakes seem really hot to me. I flicked some water drops on them and the water instantly vaporized. I understand that disc brakes rub alittle constantly and may be pretty warm, but how hot is too hot? I drove my truck around the block and it does the same thing. His car seems to stop pretty good and stops straight. He does not keep his foot on the brake and the pads have quite a bit of life to them, although they seem a little glazed. How do I check to see if they are dragging too much? Thanks for any help.

ED

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Jack the car up, put it into neutral, and spin the tire. It should spin pretty freely.

I'm betting that the issue is with a stuck slider pin for the caliper. Remove the caliper and inspect the movement of the slider pins. If they move freely, cool...could be a bad caliper piston. If they don't, replace the caliper, bracket, and slider pins, and make sure you lube the heck out of them with brake grease.

As for temp, there's really no hard and fast rule of high temp. It really depends on the type of rotors and pads, and to an extent, the type of brake fluid you've got in the car. Better fluid will have a higher boiling temp, and will perform better under high heat loads.

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Jack the car up, put it into neutral, and spin the tire. It should spin pretty freely.
[/b]
just to clarify... the wheel should rotate freely, but it will most likely not spin on it's own, and if it does, only a single rotation or two before it stops.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm betting that the issue is with a stuck slider pin for the caliper. Remove the caliper and inspect the movement of the slider pins. If they move freely, cool...could be a bad caliper piston. If they don't, replace the caliper, bracket, and slider pins, and make sure you lube the heck out of them with brake grease.

As for temp, there's really no hard and fast rule of high temp. It really depends on the type of rotors and pads, and to an extent, the type of brake fluid you've got in the car. Better fluid will have a higher boiling temp, and will perform better under high heat loads.

JR
[/b]
Thanks I will give that a try this weekend.

ED

1 - 4 of 4 Posts