Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one have this problem?
in my '96 taurus, (gl) when ever i brake moderately, comin to a stop, the dash light for my parking/emergency brake comes on, and wont go off until im a couple hundred feet down the road, and im fully sure that i haven't hit the parking brake, what should i do?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Could also be the level of deterioration of the brake pad surface. This happened to me on my old Topaz, and after a week or so, I checked the pads, and they had NOTHING left on them. Pull off your front calipers and take a look at the pads. If they are cracked, broken, glazed, or have little material left, replace pads and rotors. If they are the original rotors, odds are the pads have gouged the surface enough that they are done for and cannot be turned.

JR

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the exact same problem. A shop found out what it was during an inspection. It was my right rear drum brake cylinder- it was frozen solid. About $100 to replace with labor (didn't feel like doing it myself). You might want to check that out.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
And if the fluid, pads, and rotors are fine, you've got a brake proportioning problem that needs to be resolved. This usually requires replacement of the master cylinder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts