Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I'm drivin around and start noticing what sounds like a loose swaybar endlink. So I ask dan to pinpoint the noise while I drive it and he says the caliper is hitting the rim. :eek: So I pull the wheel off and the bottom bolt on the caliper bracket is missing!! it just walked its self out somehow. Any ideas as to how the bolt just fell out??? I just did a brake job and distinctly remember tightning all the bolts up, and I'm talking like 100 ft-lbs tight. Any way the bolt could have snapped??? Anywho I had to special order the bolt from Ford which cost me $21 for a stupid bolt.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't think those bolts are supposed to be torqued that high, but I could be wrong. Basically, those bolts hold the caliper bracket on, and since we have floating calipers on our cars, they need some room to breathe. Since you torqued it so high, the first time you hit the brakes hard, it could have caused enough pressure to snap the heads off the bolts. That is definitely a possibility, and you should check a Haynes or Chilton's manual to determine what the proper torque numbers are for those bolts.

JR

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 23 2004, 11:51 AM
I don't think those bolts are supposed to be torqued that high, but I could be wrong. Basically, those bolts hold the caliper bracket on, and since we have floating calipers on our cars, they need some room to breathe. Since you torqued it so high, the first time you hit the brakes hard, it could have caused enough pressure to snap the heads off the bolts. That is definitely a possibility, and you should check a Haynes or Chilton's manual to determine what the proper torque numbers are for those bolts.

JR
Yeah but the caliper bracket bolts solidly to the knuckle. You want that bolt to be good and tight. I bet you did just forget to tighten that one wessy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
my problem is the dang rotors.they have to be turned like every other month or else i get intense shaking when applying the brakes.My last taurus did this too.guess i just need to get brand new rotors.any idea of how much this will cost me??and who in the world am i going to trust to put these things on for me without trying to take my wallet?? <_<

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Rogdov,
Cheapt rotors are like $20 / each. If you're having those kinds of problems, you might want to with a good brand. From what you describe, there may be "hard spots" on your rotors. There are places that simply are harder then other areas of the rotor durring the manufacturing process. Then, these areas wear slower then the rest of the rotor, causing uneaven wear and probably a "wobble" effect. Obviously if you turn the rotors, the surface is all even again, but as the rotor starts to wear, you probably get the same effect again. I'd deffinatly get new rotors. You can buy rotors for almost as much as it costs to turn old ones anyway, may as well spring for new ones.

-Dan

·
Registered
549 Posts
And make sure whoever works on your car tightens the lug nuts properly and evenly. This can have a huge impact on rotor warpage and brake pulsation issues.

I've been using cheap rotors with PFC pads for over a year now and they are doing fine.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Go to www.tirerack.com for good parts and good deals. They carry a very nice line of performance brake products. If you'll be replacing the pads along with the rotors, pick up a set of EBC Green Stuff pads...they're much better than the cheap crap you find at typical stores...

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 23 2004, 12:27 PM
Go to www.tirerack.com for good parts and good deals. They carry a very nice line of performance brake products. If you'll be replacing the pads along with the rotors, pick up a set of EBC Green Stuff pads...they're much better than the cheap crap you find at typical stores...

JR
:withstupid: I second that. I'm planning on replacing my rotors in the next few months with some EBC Sport Groved and Dimpled rotors and a set of EBC Greenstuff pads to go along with it, IIRC the rotors are around 150 for the set and a set of greenstuff pads is around 60 bucks but well worth the money from what i have heard from users of these products.

I'd suggest get the parts and do it yourself, it's a really simple job and should save you enough on the labor you can justify spending the extra money (saved on labor) on the buying the good parts.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck+Jun 23 2004, 01:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hightecredneck @ Jun 23 2004, 01:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Jun 23 2004, 12:27 PM
Go to www.tirerack.com for good parts and good deals.  They carry a very nice line of performance brake products.  If you'll be replacing the pads along with the rotors, pick up a set of EBC Green Stuff pads...they're much better than the cheap crap you find at typical stores...

JR
:withstupid: I second that. I'm planning on replacing my rotors in the next few months with some EBC Sport Groved and Dimpled rotors and a set of EBC Greenstuff pads to go along with it, IIRC the rotors are around 150 for the set and a set of greenstuff pads is around 60 bucks but well worth the money from what i have heard from users of these products.

I'd suggest get the parts and do it yourself, it's a really simple job and should save you enough on the labor you can justify spending the extra money (saved on labor) on the buying the good parts. [/b][/quote]
I have those EBC's in the front of my car, though I'm using OEM pads right now. I have no complaints other then they are noisy. It's like crickets while the wheels are moving.. even louder when you're breaking. You don't hear it much inside, but it's noisy outside. If you drive next to a wall or something, you can hear how noisy they are. The stopping force they give you is good, plus I don't think I'll ever have any warping problems with them.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Jun 23 2004, 01:41 PM
I have those EBC's in the front of my car, though I'm using OEM pads right now. I have no complaints other then they are noisy. It's like crickets while the wheels are moving.. even louder when you're breaking. You don't hear it much inside, but it's noisy outside. If you drive next to a wall or something, you can hear how noisy they are. The stopping force they give you is good, plus I don't think I'll ever have any warping problems with them.

-Dan
Really? this is the first time i have heard about them being noisy. Any chance it could be because you are using the OEM break pads instead of a ceramic aftermarket? Would definitely like to know before i get them, i can't stand squeaky breaks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
thanks again guys but,ahem,can't do the brakes myself.for one,I am a woman and don't know how,for two,am afraid to ask my husband to do them because he is always working on the mustang drag.go figure.but will definately buy those parts and find someone to install them. :oops: B)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Rogdov@Jun 23 2004, 03:48 PM
thanks again guys but,ahem,can't do the brakes myself.for one,I am a woman and don't know how,for two,am afraid to ask my husband to do them because he is always working on the mustang drag.go figure.but will definately buy those parts and find someone to install them. :oops:  B)
Being a woman has nothing to do with it IMO, there are plenty of women that can change breaks. If you were interested in trying to do it yourself it's really not that hard if you got the tools (and it sounds like the hubby does) and you buy a haynes or chiltons manual for you car. I don't know your husband but i'm guessing more then likely if you start the job and get stuck you can ask him for help maybe even guilt him into finishing it for you since you had to do the job yourself ;)

Well good luck with them however you choose to proceed. :D

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
A few comments here...

First, Wessy, are you talking about the caliper slide bolts? Those should be tightened no tighter than 40lb-ft. If they are tighter than that, throw them out and get new ones. They are already ruined.

Rogdov, turning rotors does nothing over the long term if they have been warped. Basically, envision a warped rotor as a Pringle. If you spin it and cut off the high points, now it has thick and thin spots all over it, and the grain of the metal is still wavy. Thus, they warp again in a few hundred miles. Proper torquing of the lug nuts prevents warpage 90% of the time, even if you use $20 Aimco rotors and beat the hell out of them.

And to anyone who wants the EBC rotors, I ask why? I'm not saying they aren't great rotors, but have any of the people who rave about them ever tried the EBC pads with plain rotors? I'm as hard on the brakes as any person here (except maybe Bob :p ), and I've had nothing but amazing brake performance with zero fade using plain rotors and EBC GreenStuff pads. Unless your car sees serious autocross frequently, slotted and dimpled rotors aren't really worth it. Of course, some people get them for aesthetic reasons, which is fine, too. :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jun 23 2004, 07:00 PM
And to anyone who wants the EBC rotors, I ask why? I'm not saying they aren't great rotors, but have any of the people who rave about them ever tried the EBC pads with plain rotors? I'm as hard on the brakes as any person here (except maybe Bob :p ), and I've had nothing but amazing brake performance with zero fade using plain rotors and EBC GreenStuff pads. Unless your car sees serious autocross frequently, slotted and dimpled rotors aren't really worth it. Of course, some people get them for aesthetic reasons, which is fine, too. :)
I can't answer for others but part of wanting the EBC rotors for me was aesthetics since I plan on cleaning up the calipers and painting them when I replace the rotors and pads. Yeah I’ll admit a small part of me was hoping for a performance increase with them (after speaking with people that have installed them) but a good deal of it was I just liked the way they look ;)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by Rogdov@Jun 24 2004, 06:57 AM
ok,so 1,give me the namebrand of the best rotors and two,I am a woman that works on carberaters,not brakes.yes,i can con my hubby into doing them though.lol ;) :p
sex always works!!!

:D :lol2:

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
If money is no object, feel free to use the EBC rotors from TireRack.com. Personally, I prefer the plain Brembo rotors (TireRack again!) and many people have had good luck with Aimco rotors (one of the mid-price rotors available at AutoZone.)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've put like 10K on my brakes since last year, and I'll probably end up doing pads sometime soon, just because I want new ones, but I'll definitely get the Green Stuff pads, and I'd like a better rotor, but I'm not going to spend an arm and a leg to get it. I want to save money so that I have it for the Cobra (when I get it)...

JR

·
Registered
68 Posts
thank you guys,found everything I need at tirerack.com.however,the drilled holes on Brembro rotors are not warrantied.?? whats up with that? just curious.anyhow,I like the prices too.about how long will my EBC green stuff pads and Brembro rotors last?? :notworthy:and SixFoFalcon,I did a product search for Aimco parts and found nothing in Autozone or AdvanceAuto.I live in GA so maybe they just don't carry that brand here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts