Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, a little confused here...

The parking brake light is coming on randomly on the new Sable. The brake fluid is full, the parking brake is not on, yet the light still comes on. Occasionally, it flickers on, changes in intensity, then goes out. Brightness varies, sometimes dim, sometimes bright. :(

Any ideas? The Haynes manual mentions nothing, and of course, the car didn't come with an owners manual.

Any help on resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think there's a switch on the parking brake itself. Check and adjust that if necessary.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Is the parking brake fully releasing? Listen to the rear brakes for any sign of the shoes rubbing. There is an adjustment for the parking brake cable under the car by the driver's side door.

I bet it will be electrical though if it varies in intensity.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would bet a funky switch on the master cylinder or like said on the parking brake mechanism.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
The switch itself on my car is a little funky and the light will not come on sometimes.

When your brake light is showing and doing it's funkyness, set the parking brake a little bit, and release it. See if that turns the light off or affects it at all, it could just be a switch acting up.

General question:

Is the brake light that comes on when the e-brake is applied, the same light that will illuminate when the brake fluid is low?

If so, the switch in the brake fluid resivoir could be bad.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Majisto@Aug 20 2004, 02:38 PM
There is an adjustment for the parking brake cable under the car by the driver's side door.
I got inspecting the adjuster under the drivers side, and it wasn't very tight. Setting the parking brake and releasing it about 10 times fixed it.

Woo Hoo! The light goes out... Sweet.

Thanks for all your input!

Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts