Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22,988 Posts
Dave, do you have 15" or 16" wheels on your 2000? Iirc, 15" came stock and you would need 16" to clear the brackets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yup that's all you need Dave. Caliper brackets from a 96-99 SHO or 01+ Taurus/Sable (any) and the applicable rotors. Nothing else is needed.
Sweeeet. Thanks Bull Geek!

Dave, do you have 15" or 16" wheels on your 2000? Iirc, 15" came stock and you would need 16" to clear the brackets.
16", but I actually have 17's and 225/50R17s on the way :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
sheila, all the 2000s have 16" wheels standard :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
LOL

I just got a quote from Ford. $130 per bracket.

Looks like I'm ordering some refurbs online hahah. Anyone know a good place to buy just the brackets? Not looking for the rotors or pads, I can get those locally.

Edit: Any opinion on these by A1 Cardone?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^ Cardone are fine. May be cheaper at a self service salvage yard.
Self service yard. Grab them. Rip out the sliders. Clean em out. Lube them up. Reinstall.

If you weren't in Canada, I'd ship you some cheap using USPS Priority flat rate mailing.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
i'm looking at upgrading my front and rear brakes. i'm going to go with the 11.6" rotors front and rear both vented i just want to know what would be the best calipers to get. i 'm also wondering off what vehicles can i get the caliper brackets off of for the upgrade so i can just find some at a junk yard instead of having to by new. and with converting the rear all i need is the knuckle, hub, lines and the e-brake cable? what specificity do i need for the e-brake cable? and do i really need the backing plate?
"upgrade"

OK it is a change in balance from the rear to the front.

Same piston 2.596" but larger sweep radius, so same stopping with less pedal pressure. So, less pressure on the rears, rears do less work.

But what do I know?

But the name "UPGRADE" sounds cool!

-chart-

·
Registered
33 Posts
^ Cardone are fine. May be cheaper at a self service salvage yard.
Self service yard. Grab them. Rip out the sliders. Clean em out. Lube them up. Reinstall.

If you weren't in Canada, I'd ship you some cheap using USPS Priority flat rate mailing.
Just back from the yard. Not a single bull there :\ Sucks, I was at least hoping to salvage a sunload sensor (I finally remembered to run EATC diagnostic yesterday. Sure enough, 051.)

I went and placed an order for two brackets from RockAuto. C$16/ea + shipping, wasn't too bad.

You also need the SHO 96-99 or 01+ pads. They are different then what you have.

We offer the needed parts here: Brake Kits - SHO Source

The parts we are use are rust free.

We also have the pads here: Hawk Front HPS Brake Pads
Thanks loudsho, but the $50 to ship to Canada kills the price for me, unfortunately.

I'm getting new pads/shoes all around anyway, so I'll make sure to get the correct size. Only disappointing thing is that HAWK doesn't make their Ceramic pads in the right size, looks like it's HPS only.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have been shopping for some car parts today. None of NAPA stores had the remanufactured FN74 caliper brackets in stock. The closest AutoZone had just one piece. However they found on their system that another AutoZone, 4 miles away, had two in stock. So much trouble ... The price was $22 or so plus the core charge of $4 each. They'll take back the g3 brackets in exchange for the core charge.. I also picked up a couple of NAPA brand rotors, their standard made-in-china "premium" rotors, $40 each.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the 11.6" fronts, you need caliper brackets marked FN74 which come off any '96-'99 SHO or any '01-'07 Taurus. All you need for the upgrade is a set of 11.6" rotors, the caliper bracket I mentioned, and pads (they're 598s, just tell them you have a G3 SHO or an '01-'07). The front calipers are the same ones you already have. It's no harder or more involved than a straight brake job.

The other options are to keep the stock size rotors and install Mustang GT calipers (which is the cheapest way to get dual-piston calipers on a Taurus) or use 11.6" rotors with Cobra calipers (which is much more expensive and requires modified FN74 brackets).

For the 11.6" vented rear setup you need the '89-'92 SHO vented rear calipers - you can't use the solid disc ones for the conversion since they won't fit over the wider rotor. SHO Source has the parts. Make sure you get the right ones for the backing plates you have since there are two kinds. You do need the backing plate (it's the caliper mount - not a pie tin like the fronts), and you'll need rear disc parking brake cables.

All the pros and cons of everything are posted around here - search around and you'll find everything you need to know :)
What year of the mustangs should I be looking at for the brake parts for a 2000 taurus and will the calipers also work... I need to upgrade the rotors and all from this stock parts plz

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What year of the mustangs should I be looking at for the brake parts for a 2000 taurus and will the calipers also work... I need to upgrade the rotors and all from this stock parts plz
The 2000 Taurus comes with 10.9" rotors and 16" wheels. You have several upgrade paths:

1. The stock option. Keep everything stock (caliper and rotors). Simply buy a new rotor and brake pads. This is boring ;p Not to mention brake performance is substandard.

2. Mustang GT Calipers. Get calipers from Mustang GT (note, can be expensive). I believe the years are 2004 and down. These are dual piston calipers. You also need the GT caliper brackets and brake pads. That's it.

3. 11.6" rotors. Taurus/Sable from years 2001 and on came standard with 11.6" rotors. All you need is the caliper bracket from 2001+ models. It costs about $20 at a parts store, or a few peanuts at a pick n pull. You also need 11.6" rotors as well as bigger 598-series brake pads. (a lot of vendors label bigger brake pads as 598, and smaller as 601. Be careful not to get the 601 brake pads, as they still fit, but contact area is smaller).

My personal favorite is the third option. In your case it's the cheapest. Assuming you needed new brake pads and rotors anyways, all you need is a caliper bracket, which will cost $40 a pair at most. Get premium brake pads (like Wagner Thermoquet ceramic, Akebono ProAct, NAPA Adaptive One, etc) and a decent rotor, and the car will have plenty of stopping power for street.

If you decide to go with the Mustang GT calipers, note that they're not compatible with bigger rotors. This option is significantly more expensive, as you need to pay something like $90 for each caliper (new of course) plus the core (hopefully, they take your old Taurus calipers). The GT brake pads also are not as cheap as for the Taurus. The top of line Taurus brake pads cost about $60 on Amazon.com. I believe the GT brake pads cost more. The GT calipers are a more attractive upgrade for folks with 15 inch wheels (too small for 11.6 inch rotors but GT calipers should clear those wheels).

You can take a look at this discussion:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/118-suspension-handling-brakes/158724-mustang-gt-calipers-15-wheels.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
^ In case anyone finds this thread, the answer to the last question is YES!
I have a 94 Sable wagon and the 01-07 front brakes were a successful direct swap

41 - 56 of 56 Posts