Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at upgrading my front and rear brakes. i'm going to go with the 11.6" rotors front and rear both vented i just want to know what would be the best calipers to get. i 'm also wondering off what vehicles can i get the caliper brackets off of for the upgrade so i can just find some at a junk yard instead of having to by new. and with converting the rear all i need is the knuckle, hub, lines and the e-brake cable? what specificity do i need for the e-brake cable? and do i really need the backing plate?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
For the 11.6" fronts, you need caliper brackets marked FN74 which come off any '96-'99 SHO or any '01-'07 Taurus. All you need for the upgrade is a set of 11.6" rotors, the caliper bracket I mentioned, and pads (they're 598s, just tell them you have a G3 SHO or an '01-'07). The front calipers are the same ones you already have. It's no harder or more involved than a straight brake job.

The other options are to keep the stock size rotors and install Mustang GT calipers (which is the cheapest way to get dual-piston calipers on a Taurus) or use 11.6" rotors with Cobra calipers (which is much more expensive and requires modified FN74 brackets).

For the 11.6" vented rear setup you need the '89-'92 SHO vented rear calipers - you can't use the solid disc ones for the conversion since they won't fit over the wider rotor. SHO Source has the parts. Make sure you get the right ones for the backing plates you have since there are two kinds. You do need the backing plate (it's the caliper mount - not a pie tin like the fronts), and you'll need rear disc parking brake cables.

All the pros and cons of everything are posted around here - search around and you'll find everything you need to know :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't want the front and rear brakes to be the same size; you'll have too much rear brake bais and the car will be tail happy in hard braking.
[/b]
so whats the largest i can go in the front with 16" rims i have 98 sho rims and more then likly will stick to them just cause they were free

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Without custom work, 11.6" is the biggest. A few people have fit 13" brakes under certain aftermarket 16s but as far as I remember, it won't work under any stock wheels. There's info on 13"s under 16"s at SHOForum.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I went to my second home, ie: the junk yard, and got brakets from an '01 ses and when i got home i checked the numbers on it with this feed, and the brakets i got say fn74. Are these the same or did you mis-print the numbers? i looked at 4 '01-03 taurus's and they all said fn74 on the brakets. let me know so i can exchange or return if i got the wrong ones. thanks

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (99taurus24v/se @ Jul 14 2009, 02:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739385
I went to my second home, ie: the junk yard, and got brakets from an '01 ses and when i got home i checked the numbers on it with this feed, and the brakets i got say fn74. Are these the same or did you mis-print the numbers? i looked at 4 '01-03 taurus's and they all said fn74 on the brakets. let me know so i can exchange or return if i got the wrong ones. thanks[/b]
FN74 caliper brackets are the brackets used on the 11.6" brakes (96-99 SHO, 01+ SLOs). I have them on my 2000, they work fine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
When you upgrade to the larger front brakes and switch to 16" wheels, don't forget to go to a boneyard and get a new 16" spare, or you may find out at the wrong time that the original spare won't go on the front anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (ldheinz @ Jul 15 2009, 04:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739708
When you upgrade to the larger front brakes and switch to 16" wheels, don't forget to go to a boneyard and get a new 16" spare, or you may find out at the wrong time that the original spare won't go on the front anymore.[/b]
Very true for G3 people. 2000 owners are OK, the spare tire fits up front w/brake upgrade!

But then again you should generally put the spare on the rear :p

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Ok thanks, i started to worry they made different ones. So the fn74 brackets are right, then ill get the rotors and upgrade soon. Thanks for the reply's

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So my question regarding upgrade is on 2000 Taurus FFV upgrading front rotors to 11.6'' or Mustang GT calipers with 10.9" (stock) rotors. Which one will give you more bang for a buck?
Thank you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Jan 8 2009, 01:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=690245
The other options are to keep the stock size rotors and install Mustang GT calipers (which is the cheapest way to get dual-piston calipers on a Taurus)[/b]
what year mustang GT would i need to get the calipers from? are they direct bolt on? or do they need to be modified? will they work with the stock 95 taurus brackets or will i need the gt brackets?

Id like to upgrade my gen2 to dual piston calipers in the front (and rear if thats possible with the stock size rotors) and just wondering whats involved..

dont mean to hi-jack the thread :)

thanks

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
QUOTE (Jason J. Hill @ Mar 2 2010, 11:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=789184
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Jan 8 2009, 01:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=690245
The other options are to keep the stock size rotors and install Mustang GT calipers (which is the cheapest way to get dual-piston calipers on a Taurus)[/b]
what year mustang GT would i need to get the calipers from? are they direct bolt on? or do they need to be modified? will they work with the stock 95 taurus brackets or will i need the gt brackets?

Id like to upgrade my gen2 to dual piston calipers in the front (and rear if thats possible with the stock size rotors) and just wondering whats involved..

dont mean to hi-jack the thread :)

thanks
[/b][/quote]

1999 GT will work or around there. Just bolt on using the GT brackets. I would still go 11.6 though.

You can not go to dual pistons in the rear without a lot of work but we do have a 11.6 rear kit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (Firespirit @ Jul 16 2009, 12:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739845
QUOTE (ldheinz @ Jul 15 2009, 03:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739708
When you upgrade to the larger front brakes and switch to 16" wheels, don't forget to go to a boneyard and get a new 16" spare, or you may find out at the wrong time that the original spare won't go on the front anymore.[/b]
Stock spares are for wussies anyway B) A full size spare > everything other than AAA.
[/b][/quote]

It's true... but the problem is a full size spare doesn't fit well under the carpet in the trunk... Very annoying when you try to put stuff in the trunk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
its breaks are very reliable my car model is 2003 but they are not in a condition to replace them they are in excellent condition

·
Registered
524 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts