Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard debates about Brake Torqueing being good and bad. There are many who say it will destroy your torque converter - has this ever happened to anybody and will brake torqueing harm anything on our cars?

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Wessy is the expert on brake torqueing/burning out....lol, i'm sure he'll tell you a story. But, anyway, if you do it for a half hour, of course it'll break something. Just be smart when you're doing it, not that I recomend it for daily driving...

·
Registered
307 Posts
whats the recommanded RPM to rev to while doin it

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I'm not sure if this makes you feel better about brake torquing, but I talked to a tranny guy and he said neutral bombs are worse for the transmission than brake torquing. He also said that brake torquing heats up the fluid really fast, so don't do it very often or for very long.

·
Registered
307 Posts
really 2500...now everybody talks about this might hurt your tranny but what about brakes?

·
Registered
230 Posts
heats up the brakes pretty good, wears out the pads fast. but new pads are cheaper than a new tranny, so hands down, i'd go with the brake torque.

·
Registered
307 Posts
was just wonderin....so is 2500 for a vulcan bout right..i kno depends on tires also..

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
BAD

·
Registered
307 Posts
what should i rev to...i have been doing it to ..oo...1000 or 1250..no tire squel..should i hear the tires when brake torqueing

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I recently experienced a problem due to reving my engine in drive and brake torquing too much. On the freeway at high speed, I would rev my engine up to 5k or 6k rpms and then I'd quickly let go of my gas pedal and then immediately punch it. It gave me a huge kick in torque and I would launch from 4th to 3rd in a hurry. This is how I would blow people away on the freeway. I would do this when ever I was behind someone and I wanted to pass in a hurry.

At stop lights, I'd brake torque at the line to 3k rpms then letting go of my brake and punching the gas to smoke my tires. I rarely did this, but all this was enough to burn my tranny fluid. I don't know if it caused major damage to my torque converter, but I don't think what I did was good either. This is what caused all my noise problems when ever I started my car in the cold. I had to change the filter and fluid so no more damage could be done. In the next couple of months, I'm going to fully flush my tranny to make sure I get all of the remaining burnt fluid out. So even with my transgo shift kit, it wasn't enough to maintain the abuse that I was causing to my transmission.

·
Registered
102 Posts
you people are kiling your trannys brake torqueing to 2 and 3k at the dealership we never go above 1500 for more than a feel seconds before we let it idle for a little while. geez i wonder why you tranny is messed upQUOTE
At stop lights, I'd brake torque at the line to 3k rpms then letting go of my brake and punching the gas to smoke my tires. I rarely did this, but all this was enough to burn my tranny fluid. I don't know if it caused major damage to my torque converter, but I don't think what I did was good either. This is what caused all my noise problems when ever I started my car in the cold. I had to change the filter and fluid so no more damage could be done. In the next couple of months, I'm going to fully flush my tranny to make sure I get all of the remaining burnt fluid out. So even with my transgo shift kit, it wasn't enough to maintain the abuse that I was causing to my transmission.[/b]

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the few occasions I do brake torque, I only do it to like 1300ish RPM's.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
When I try brake torquing, the car wont even go up past 2k rpms. Also when I do it, the tires will spin a lot, but then when they catch, the car bogs down bad. Almost as if its starting all over again. I try to keep brake torquing to a minimum, but when i do it, i take it to about 1500-1800. i get a really great launch from it.

Who makes shift kits for the AX4N? Any recommendations for a trans cooler? Thanks a mill.

·
Registered
187 Posts
brake torquing is bad for the transmission. It generates lots of heat, and heat is the biggest cause of failure among ford transmissions, not parts breaking. Why do you think all the shift kits available are really just lube kits to allow better fluid flow to dissipate heat better. Anyone who has installed a tranny cooler can vouch that it makes a noticable difference.

maybe if you install a big tranny cooler, you can get away with minor brake torquing, but even then...

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Jan 20 2004, 10:34 PM
Who makes shift kits for the AX4N?  Any recommendations for a trans cooler?  Thanks a mill.
Transgo makes a kit for the AX4N, as well as just about any other app. you can think of.

For trans coolers, I recommend the B&M SuperCooler. It has a stacked plate design which is much more efficient than the tube-and-fin design. I used the 19,000lb GVW model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts